X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locusts

Hi,

I am pretty new to spiders so maybe silly question:
    I have been feeding my spiders, locusts (i always have locusts anyway because i feed them to my frogs, i prefer them to crickets because they don't tend to escape and are easier to hande) is there any problems with feeding locusts to spiders ? (at the moment i rotate between locusts and crickets)

Also again probably a silly question; I feed my locusts / crickets organic vegetables and stuff, because i am scared of pestisides affecting my spiders. Is that just me being paranoid,? or can spiders be affected by the small ammounts of pestisides, in normal vegetables? (i read that spiders are quiet sensitive to pestisides).

thanks,

Joost

The spiders will eat any insect they can overpower and kill.. locusts included.

In fact, i'd prefer them to crickets, as they are vegitarian, so you dont have to worry about them taking a bite out of a moulting spider.

With regards to the pesticides, yes i think they can build up in a spiders body, i never worried about what i fed my crickets / locusts, but i can see your point.

I find fish flakes or cat/dog biscuits make great food for crickets and roaches though. Never had much luck with feeding locusts.
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Hiya Joost

I prefer using locusts too, (however for some unknown reason
      they dont seem to last long in my care)
      but i use crickets aswell.
      when i feed the locusts i just make sure that
      i give the food a good wash beforehand.

i never thought of a build up of pestisides in the spider
      maybe some of the more expert members could
      offer their opinion on that one.

'A Woman's Prayer:
      Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Comment

I read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember where) that locusts were more nutritious than crix. They don't live as long though.

When I have locusts and they need feeding, I give them chunks of apple. I cut the skin off it, and they seem to do OK

My Collection:

Comment

thanks very much for the replies. i will keep feeding locusts then.

Comment

Excuse me for kidnapping this thread, but I have been given 2 locusts to try, as my Smithi is wolfing down brown crickets (20mm) as soon as I put them in. It will even take another 30 mins after finishing the first, leading me to think that they aren't substantial enough?

My worry is, will the spider which isn't that big, be in any danger of damage from the locusts spiny back legs? The 2 locusts I have are about 40mm long (body) and the Smithi has a leg span of 80mm, so body length wise they are about the same.

Comment

I wouldn't think it'd have any trouble with then Neil

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea
                Cheers Phil, I will try one when I get home then.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea
                  Phil, you were quite right, it despatched both locusts within a 14 hour span along with a very small brown cricket (which I couldn't be bothered to chase around the tank to remove) in between.

It stalked the 2nd one around the tank, a full circuit, rather than wait for it to wander near it's retreat, so I assume it finds them a more attractive dinner proposition!

Comment

Be careful with locusts, I have had experience of wiping out 4 adult spiders by feeding them with adult locusts. The spider acts as if it has been poisoned, slowly deteriorating until it curls up and dies.

I know several people who have had similar experiences,

The theory (and this is all it is at the moment) is that it is due to the locust being kept too cold which allows the development of a particular bacteria in the gut (normally suppressed by higher temperatures) and these produce a toxin which the spider cannot tolerate.

I know lots of people use locusts without any problems and they are good because there is obviously more "meat" on a locust - but be aware !

I prefer to feed the large "Chirp-less" crickets, fat and juicy and don't keep you up all night singing!
                    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

more critter questions

That sounds quiet scary, maybe crickets is the better option then.
                      Thanks for the response.

Does any one have any tips on how to handle the Small size circkets (the larger sizes I am fine with) ? i am trying to transfer the small ones to my tank without also pooring in the mess that they come with. But somehow always seem to escape. I usually handle them outside, but in the evening we can chirping away in the garden now. Obviously if the neighbours ask I will deny all knowledge

Comment

Stick them in the fridge for a while to slow them down. Not too long though, or they could die

That, and tweezers

My Collection:

Comment

Re: more critter questions

Originally posted by joost
                          That sounds quiet scary, maybe crickets is the better option then.
                          Thanks for the response.

Does any one have any tips on how to handle the Small size circkets (the larger sizes I am fine with) ? i am trying to transfer the small ones to my tank without also pooring in the mess that they come with. But somehow always seem to escape. I usually handle them outside, but in the evening we can chirping away in the garden now. Obviously if the neighbours ask I will deny all knowledge
                          Joost, I use a box called a "cricket keeper" which come in various sizes, but basically involves a plastic tub with hinged lid and some removable, black plastic tubes. The crickets like to crawl up the tubes, so all I do is decant one into a small plastic pot by banging on the tube and then drop that into the spider tank - never had to touch a cricket yet (I don't like the smelly things - OK with locusts?) and no mess gets transferred.

This link will show you;

Comment

Personally, i'd ditch crickets and locusts and get yours a cockroach colony. The hatchlings are perfect size, for even the smallest slings, and my larger specimens are still satisfied by adult roaches.

Our 50 or so spiders are not making a dent in the cockroach population, and we haven't had to spend any money on live food in 6 months.
                            And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Working...
                            X