New substance ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New substance ....

Unlucky for me i have had a cricket lay eggs in my spiders unit ( Grammostola cala - Chilean Rose ) and me not notice them and so they have hached! So i now have to repace all the substance and the fittings. I just wondered what i should use as the new substance? Vermiculite on its own? Vermiculite mixed with soil? or soil on its own. Also how long should i soak the vermiculite in water for? This would relly help me cheers.

If you're going with vermiculite, i tended to mix it 50/50 with plain compost (no additives at all).

For a G.rosea (i believe G.cala is a synonym) i wouldn't bother adding any water at all to the mix, and let the specimen get all it's water from a shallow dish.

I keep all mine on 100% sterilised potting compost personally, i found vermiculite clumps too much and makes it hard for them to dig.
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

If you had just put a water dish in its enclosure and let the tank dry out you would have cleared up your crix problem in a couple of days. They are absolutley suicidal with a water dish , you would have had to empty it a couple of times a day to remove the body's
      Ian M

Brachypelma.co.uk updated 22/06/06

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

Working...
        X