Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a newby.

ello

15 or so years ago ( **** that makes me appear old ) I resigned from the BTS committee and sold off my overly extensive collection of arachnids. Now it seems I'm back, or am I ?

When I gave up I had several hundred arachnids, from Brachypelma to the testosterone charged East African Baboon jobs, not to mention the WAA scorpions which I shouldn't have had and which frightened me to death. All in a purposefully heated room with all mod arachnid cons.

I gave up due to an allergic reaction to urticating hairs and, if I'm honest due to an unfeasibly diverse collection; but I never got it out of my system. Now I'm looking to come back, though this time concentrating on my true 'loves' the Brachypelma, and with a much more limited collection.

Lots have changed in my absence, for example what we used to call 'Flame Knee' is now recognised as the species it always was; Andrew Smith is still as strong as ever as are the Webbs, but where is Vince the Scorpion man ?

Anyway, enough of my ridiculous ramblings, there is a serious point to this post. When I gave up my obsession was all consuming, I heated a room especially for the arachnids for example. If I do re-enter the hobby I do not wish to go that extreme. So
    :-
    1. Are heat pads really effective can anyone tell me ? I've never ever used them, to be honest I was always way too sceptical of their efficacy.

2, I've seen adverts for 'Chirpless Crickets', do they exist and will they end the misery of the singing Cricket behind the fridge ?

3. Have there been sufficient advances in Therasphosid care to make captive breeding a 'routine' event ' ? I'm still seeing adverts for wild caught animals.

My apologies if this appears over long, boring etc etc , however I am serious. Responses public or otherwise will be greatfully received.

M.

Hi Mark

1. Heat mats do work, but as with any heat source, it's best to have some sort of thermostat on them. I use heat mats to heat up my big T cabinet, but I do regulate them with a habistat thermostat and it seems to work for me.

2. You can certainly buy Silent Brown Crickets

3. I wouldn't say routine, but seemingly the process is understood better nowadays with some spiders requiring cooler temperatures to breed and so on. I'm sure that there are plenty of experienced breeders that can elaborate further.

Things are changing from month to month, such as the availability in Europe and the US of captive bred Australian theraphosids (thanks to Steve Nunn), a 'new' species of Poecliotheria has just been described, and there are many respected taxonomists such as Richard Gallon, Robert Raven, Volker von Wirth, Martin Huber and so on working on revisions to existing genera so there are lots of things to try and keep up with. Just make sure you buy plenty of extra labels

My Collection:

Comment

Good to hear from you Mark.

You are right many things have changed since your time with us.

Andrew Smith is indeed still the Chairman ( a liitle older and with a bit more white in the beard ) Ann and Frank remain as honorary members but retired from active service in 2004. Angela has taken over as Secratary and I organise the Exhibition. We are new to the Committee having served for a mere 15 years . Paul Carpenter remains with us a treasurer.

We have grown in size and with the WWW we aim to rule the World.

Hope you get back on board soon Mike and welcome back.

PS I wont answer your questions as Phil as already done a great job.

Ray Hale
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

ditto

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks to all.

Also meant to ask what substrate people are using these days. It was vermiculite in my day but I see from pics on the forum that people seem to be using some form of 'compost'.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

the substrate issue is one of personal choice these days, some use vermiculite others additive free compost or forest bedding ( coconut mulch ).

Comment

Working...
            X