I think I went too far this time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I went too far this time...

Locusts. Adult locusts. I thought they'd make nice, meaty treats for my Brachypelma smithi and Grammostola rosea. I was worried that they'd be too big for them, and it seems that's the case.

My B smithi had eaten 35-50mm extra large locusts before her last moult, but never 60-80mm (including the wings) adult ones. I put in one of the smaller locusts with a hind leg missing for her. It got scared and just clambered all over her. She didn't like that, but she showed no aggression towards it. She ignored it and let it do what it wanted, and stayed out of its way. This has happened before when she was smaller when I first tried to feed her locusts, but eventually she got hungry enough and ate them. She had a leg span of about 80-90mm, but now it is about 100-110mm.

As for my G Rosea, well, she's an adult or sub-adult, with a leg span of about 125mm. She has dug a tunnel, but she rarely comes out. I usually drop crickets in the burrow for her; she'll stick her front four legs out to grab the prey, but she won't chase it unless she is very, very hungry. But the locust is too big to fit down the burrow. She'll put a leg out slightly to see (or feel, rather) what's going on, but that's about it. The locust is reluctant to go by its own accord.

And this Chile Rose has been up to something. She has divided her tunnel into two seperate chambers. One of which she sits in, and has made two entrances in, and the other she has sealed up. I wonder what is in there? She sealed up the entire burrow, blocking all entrances and exits, and sat in there for months, only coming out to drink, before eventually removing all the seals and started feeding again. Very odd.

Any advice will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, hope you are all well,

~Chris

wow very weird would of been good if you got some pictures
    B.Smithi
    G.Rosea (RCF)
    B.Vagans
    P.Irminia
    A.Avicularia
    L.Parahybana

Comment

from the sound of it your rosea probably sealed the burrow to molt. the molt is probably sealed in the second burrow with other "rubbish"
      hope this helps

Comment

Working...
      X