G.Rosea (RCF)
    B.Vagans
    P.Irminia
    A.Avicularia
    L.Parahybana

Re: incubators

Originally posted by James Metcalf
    James
    Whether they would work out not is not the question the question is are they needed and the answer is no.

If your keeping tarantulas you have at your disposal everything you need to incubate "pulled" egg sacks.

You need to read:
    BTS Journal Volume 20 Number 4 August 2005

Article: Gabriel, R. - An improved method of artificial incubation.

All you need! - cost pennies!

Cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Yeas, plus those incubators are really made for professional breeding herpetologists who breed snakes or lizards on a large scale and regularly. Tarantula breeding there not necessary and might not work big given the egg sac constructions and reptile eggs are different compositions. Best bet is to use the methods that arachnologists have used over the years.

Comment

Adam Smith (pe@nut)
        Yeas, plus those incubators are really made for professional breeding herpetologists who breed snakes or lizards on a large scale and regularly. Tarantula breeding there not necessary and might not work big given the egg sac constructions and reptile eggs are different compositions. Best bet is to use the methods that arachnologists have used over the years.
        Agreed

Comment

same here.
          I recently bred Avic. avic and decided to pull the eggsack. reason for this was purly selfish. I had read Ray's artical and up till now have always left the sack with the mother. Only ever lost 1 sack (P. scrofa) doing this in 15 ish years but though "for a change I'll try it".
          Result was 69 spiderlings all healthy.
          It was VERY easy to make the incubator and allows you to see in at what's going on.

Comment

Got my eggsac in one of Ray's Mk 1 incubators, all seems well so far and there are lots of nymph 1 in there. YES FINALLY I HAVE AN EGG SAC.
            spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

well how do i make an incubator and what do i need to make it?
              B.Smithi
              G.Rosea (RCF)
              B.Vagans
              P.Irminia
              A.Avicularia
              L.Parahybana

Comment

Look in The BTS Journal Feb 2004 volume 19 No2 page 38-41, Artificial Incubation and the care of Nymphs by Ray Gabriel it outlines everything you need to know, I know he has done a mk2 version but I like mk1 personally. Maybe someone clever could put up a link to the artical, I can't, I'm not clever.
                spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

thanks mary i got the mk2 description
                  B.Smithi
                  G.Rosea (RCF)
                  B.Vagans
                  P.Irminia
                  A.Avicularia
                  L.Parahybana

Comment

Working...
                  X