Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Query: Acanthoscurria chacoana (Bolivian Red Rump)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query: Acanthoscurria chacoana (Bolivian Red Rump)

Hi,

I am about to take delivery of a relatively large female (body length 3.5") and would like to know the optimum environment for this particular species (substrate, humidity, temperature etc), as well as a little more about this particular tarantula.

Food wise, I am assuming crickets and the occasional locust, but will they go for larger food or is it recommended to keep to those mentioned?

Is this an aggressive species or fairly placid? I would dearly like to know before I release it into its new vivarium tomorrow!

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark E

Not great deal of info on the net on this species but can gather that they are best kept as most Acanthoscurria species. Given it has say 35 body length you@d be looking at a tank of 45-60cmx30cmx20cm. Keep at a temperature of 75-82F and around 70-80% humidity, crickets will be fine as stape diet and anything else is experimental at your judgement.

Comment

I have received little feedback on this thread. Is a burrownig spider relatively rare?

Thanks,
      Mark
      Mark E

Comment

Not really, the majority of tarantulas as i see it are burrowers, my Acanthoscurria geniculata (giant white knee) certainly is, I've done a quick google for this species and there are plenty of pictures but very little in way of information.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks for the update. I agree that there appears to be very little information regarding this species, which is strange as it is a particularly striking spider in terms of coloration etc. It is a voracious hunter, but placid towards it's keeper (luckily for me).

There is a large amount of information readily available for my other spiders (large mature female Chilean Rose, large female Red-Knee and a smaller male Curly Hair) but little to nothing on the Bolivian Red Rump.

Any info gratefully received!

Thanks,
          Mark
          Mark E

Comment

Re: Query: Acanthoscurria chacoana (Bolivian Red Rump)

Originally posted by Mark E
            Hi,

I am about to take delivery of a relatively large female (body length 3.5") and would like to know the optimum environment for this particular species (substrate, humidity, temperature etc), as well as a little more about this particular tarantula.

Food wise, I am assuming crickets and the occasional locust, but will they go for larger food or is it recommended to keep to those mentioned?

Is this an aggressive species or fairly placid? I would dearly like to know before I release it into its new vivarium tomorrow!

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
            Mark

Mark
            OK A, chacoana Brethes, 1909
            Pretty much as Adam has said keep as other Acanthoscurria spp. I would use at least 6-8 inches of substrate myself for an adult. I like to use a mixture of potting soil, peat moss and a spinkle of vermiculite.

As for feeding just because its potentially a large spider does not mean you have to fed it large prey items such as pinkies or such. Crickets and locusts will be fine, the odd locust would not go a miss but I prefere not to use these (my personal choice).

They will take pieces of cubed meat as will most tarantulas, but this can be a smelly business, when the remains of the meal are left to long.

As Dave mentions they are indeed fossorial and will burrow in the wild. Don't be to surprised if the don't in captivity. Mind you at least you will be able to see her.

Best regards
            Mark

------------------------------------------------------
            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply. The spider's vivarium is as you described, and she has created a fantastic burrow and retreat which has been her home ever since. As you say though, this has led to us only seeing her on occasion which is annoying - but she's happy and that's what matters.

Food wise I will avoid the cubed meat, as you say it could prove messy and smelly. Crickets will be the staple diet with the odd locust.

Regards,
              Mark
              Mark E

Comment

Working...
              X