handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handling

I read somwhere that you shouldnt handle tarantulas much as it can shorten there life is this true??????? I dont handle mine much 3 times since I have had the Chilean rose and I got him 4 months ago
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

I thought the reason you weren't supposed to handle them was because there's a fair chance that if you should happen to drop them it'll cause them a fatal injury? Of course, do correct me if I'm wrong - I'm new to this and haven't even got my first T yet!!!

Comment

yea carrie i believe that is the reason.
      they are very fragile and a fall could kill them.
      I havent been keeping that long but i've never
      heard that handling T's can reduce the lifespan.

i know people like to handle their pets but i dont think
      spids get any joy from it and theres really no need for it
      apart from the owners pleasure.

i'd rather not take the chance of hurting it
      stressing it out.
      'A Woman's Prayer:
      Dear Lord, I pray for: Wisdom, To understand a man , to Love and to forgive him , and for patience, For his moods. Because Lord, if I pray for Strength I'll just beat him to death'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning thats as good as their going to feel all day.

Comment

yeh I would hate it if I dropped either of them I always sit on the floor when I hold them just in case they dont seem to mind being picked up they just walk onto my hand and never seem agitated
        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

yeh I would hate it if I dropped either of them I always sit on the floor when I hold them just in case they dont seem to mind being picked up they just walk onto my hand and never seem agitated

Comment

Well I suppose it would shorten the life span if the T took a lemming leap off you hand but other than that doubt that it shortens life in long term effect. I occasionally handle the Ts I have frome time to time, the spids dont enjoy it they just presume there from one surface to another. Though many disagree with handling Ts I personally d ooccasionally t my own discretion but im not saying everyone should do it especially with aggressive Ts

Comment

I only handle mine when feeding or cleaning out there tank.
              The only thing that i know of , is that if you do drop it ( the tarantula ) you could end up spliting its Abdomen. ( resulting in death )

Other than that handling could stress out your tarantula but the odd handle shouldnt matter

Dan

Comment

Why do you want to handle your spiders?

They are not toys

If you want to handle something get a Hamster.

Once you have felt the pain from a Hamster bite then multiply this up to the size of a spider fangs and multiply the pain, you will see what i am getting at.

Ray

Comment

Have been bit many times by a hamster over the years and can see what your getting at. The only times I handled my Ts really was when I first started keeping them many years ago when I was younger and was curious about holding a tarantula but over the years have to admit you dont gain anything from it really, I just reread my first comment and was meant been written in past tense. But from one person to another each to their own, I certainly dont advise handling but not saying its to be done either.

Comment

Again this comes back to what would they do in the wild?
                    Tarantulas like many animals don't want to be picked up and cuddled, natural curiosity is one thing, toys are another. Tarantulas are not toys. Saying that I have a couple of spiders that if people want to hold just to feel what it's like to have a big spider walk on you then it's fine. My Chilean Rose won't ever flick or bite - but I wouldn't let anyone even put their hands near my Thai Black. Use common sense and remember that it is very rare that you are doing a favour to a spider by picking it up. If you have to pick it up keep it low so if it does jump it cant jump far enough to hurt itself. And my usual advice is this - If in doubt - Simply dont!
                    Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

In the 15+ years I've been keeping T's I could probably count
                      on my fingers the amount of times I've handled any.

Tarantulas do not have any inclination to be handled, they do
                      not get any pleasure from it (on the contrary I would suspect that
                      it would be fairly stressful for them) and despite what some
                      people say continued handling (in my opinion) does not make a
                      tarantula any more docile. Their brains aren't "wired" up that way.

Even the "docile" species can all have individual personalities,
                      for every docile B. smithi out there there is a complete psycho.
                      If you must show your pets off to friends and family leave them
                      in their tanks and show them from there. Show your tarantulas
                      the respect that they deserve.

Buying a tarantula to handle is like buying a goldfish to take for
                      walks. In a word............ Don't.
                      "Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional...."

Comment

what would you suggest when cleaning them out? that has been the only time I have picked mine up either that or when I have had to do any modifications or changes to the tank

Comment

For cleaning, etc I'd suggest the use of a smaller "holding tub"
                          while your doing whatever needs done in the tank.

As an added point to what I've already said, not handling also
                          lessens the chance of problems with urticating hairs (bristles).
                          "Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional...."

Comment

one time my Chilean rose did flick hairs on me but I didnt notice any irritation I just want her to shed so theres not a little bald patch that was when I first got her though, recently I havnt handled them at all the novelty of handling them has worn off I would rather just take care of them now, and I like the quote in your signature Ian

Comment

mad

don't know if anyone follow this forum

Comment

Working...
                              X