Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good books on tarantula care at the moment the only book I have is Tarantulas and other arachnids a complete pet owners manual which is written by Samuel D Marshall which seems quite good but I wouldnt mind some others
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

I would definitely recommend The Tarantula Keeper's Guide, it's got LOADS of info. I also like Keeping and Breeding Tarantulas by Ronald Baxter, although it is from 1994 so it's not up to date with taxonomic changes. However, it's got good advice and lots of great photos.

The other thing I recommend is becoming a BTS member (if you aren't already) and doing what I do: print the back issues of the journal off A4 size, double sided, using my college's printers so I don't have to pay a penny for the ink I then get a massive ring binder and stick them all in that with divders for each issue. I've also compiled various articles from elsewhere that I might find useful and included those too. It's a great "encyclopedia" of tarantula keeping, and I find myself turning to it a lot more than books.

I made sure to include as much as I could in the folder, even if I didn't need it at the time. One day it all comes in handy, for example I didn't need articles on the husbandry of African arboreals back in the days when all I had was a G. rosea to my name, but they came in handy when I got my first H. maculata.

Comment

The best book in English is Ron Baxters,

I wont recomend any book that covers hybridisation

Ray

Comment

At the risk of hijacking Simon's thread, I too would like to hear of any good titles.

I am also VERY interested in obtaining a copy of Andrew Smith's 'Tarantulas of the USA & Mexico': this was eagerly anticipated when I as last involved in keeping Ts and I now find it is out of print! Aaarrrgghh!

So, if anyone has a copy (or a duplicate copy) for sale, please let me know!
        Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

Andrew, have you tried contacting Fitzgerald to see whether they have any copies left? Or failing that try a search for it on Amazon or even Ebeay, I've picked up some excellent out of print books that way.

Mike.
          www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Andrew, I've just done a search on Amazon for you, try this link

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tarantula-Spiders-Tarantulas-Mexico-Theraphosid/dp/0951093991/sr=1-1/qid=1162286875/ref=sr_1_1/026-6921863-5882026?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Tarantula Spiders: Tarantulas of the USA and Mexico (Theraphosid Spiders of the World S.): Andrew M. Smith: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

Hope this helps,

Mike.
            www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

There's a list of recommended reading here:
              Guy...
              www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Mike, thanks. Yes, Fitzgerald say that it has been out of print for nearly six months. I followed your Amazon link and have ordered it! I don't know why I didn't think to do that myself; I had already tried eBay etc!!

Guy, thanks for the link. I have several of those titles, but it looks like the old credit card will be taking a hammering over the next few days!

Thanks again guys!

Simon, sorry for hijacking your thread!
                Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

I would recommend anyone to get both the Samuel Marhasll book and the Tarantula Keepers Guide(Barrons,199,both exellent books for beginners and officionados.
                  My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                  Ray Gabriel

Comment

thats alright Andrew mate im just looking for new books
                    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Hi Folks,
                      I doubt Amazon will be able to supply the USA book. Andrew Smith told me that Fitzgerald don't deal with Amazon because they demand the books for a fraction of the publisher's price. So since Fitzgerald won't have sold any to Amazon, they don't have any to offer either.

Best bet is second-hand - but they are like hen's teeth

The best English language books IMO on keeping tarantulas are Baxter's & Marshall's ones. Well those are the ones I keep going back to read - the rest just sit on the shelf gathering dust - go figure! Mind you, I'm a sucker for tarantula books so I buy most of them, lol.

Cheers,
                      Richard

Comment

Same here, Baxters is the first one we bought in 1994 and the one I call my bible.
                        spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Working...
                        X