I saw a white mite!/Humidity query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw a white mite!/Humidity query

Earlier i noticed what I think is cricket poo( small brown pellets) near the Ts water dish, and lookign closer I then saw a small white mite crawling up the tank.
    Ive heard that these can be troublesome for Ts as they can get into their booklings?
    Looks like I need to clean the tank, again!
    Also the tank that houses my Tegenaria, same size tank, substrtate etc, is a lot drier. This is because that tank has largish air holes but I made the air holes smaller for the chile rose as I believed it needed a high humidity.
    Should I make them a little bigger to help keep the tank drier?
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

No matter how clean and ventilated your tank is, mites will always be present. They only become a problem when their numbers get out of control. Most species will be OK with a well ventilated tank, slightly moist (in one corner) substrate and access to a water dish. Mites thrive in hot/humid conditions and feed on dead prey remains and mould. Cage maintenance is the key to dealing with mites...
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thanks Guy.
      I definitely need to clean her out now as theres a fresh load of T poo on the tanks side-lovely!
      Ray Gabriel

Comment

Guy is right. It doesn't matter how much you try to get rid of them ,they will always be present. Try not to worry too much. Just ensure you remove any dead crickets and discarded food debris. This will help reduce their presence.

I never water and feed at the same time as I find if the cricket dies the mites appear quicker. I water all my spiders two days before I feed. It works for me.

Ray
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Originally posted by rayhale
          I never water and feed at the same time as I find if the cricket dies the mites appear quicker. I water all my spiders two days before I feed. It works for me.

Ray
          Thing is the water dish is there all the time.Should i be taking it out when i feed the T?
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

i think he mean about spraying the tank lol
            B.Smithi
            G.Rosea (RCF)
            B.Vagans
            P.Irminia
            A.Avicularia
            L.Parahybana

Comment

Yes sorry I meant when you spray the tank. I dont use water dishes.

I spray the tank once a week. I find this helps maintaim humidity.

My own preference is not to use water dishes. I know others swear by them.

Ray
              British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
              The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
              On
              [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thanks for that. I believed a chile rose prefers a lower humidity and thus a water dish would be better?
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

Originally posted by rayhale

My own preference is not to use water dishes. I know others swear by them.

Ray

Yes quite often you can hear me shouting `that stupid #!§%&?#"& ߧ##&% usless water dish is filled with earth again!´

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X