Latin names??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin names??

I was wondering if anyone can help me at all, every where I look about tarantulas they are called there latin names which to me is just confusing I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a comprehensive list of tarantulas with there latin names and commen names stated so that I can start learning them if theres not such a list no worries il just have to learn as I go
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Re: Latin names??

Originally posted by Simon Batten
    I was wondering if anyone can help me at all, every where I look about tarantulas they are called there latin names which to me is just confusing I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of a comprehensive list of tarantulas with there latin names and commen names stated so that I can start learning them if theres not such a list no worries il just have to learn as I go
    Simon
    Personally I would stick with learning the latin names but here is a good guide to common names;

This is on the T-Store..... own by Phil Messenger.

Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

thanks Mark it was so I could learn the latin names I just wanted a list of commen names next to it so I know what they are to start with thats a good list
      The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Can I be pedantic here and point out that they are not Latin names, they are Scientific names.

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea
          Can I be pedantic here and point out that they are not Latin names, they are Scientific names.
          you certainly can and im glad you did because I thought they were latin

Comment

Phil
            You can be pedantic... we all can at times, its part of the fun of it all.

Scientific can often be reffered to as Latin names. Scientific names are writen in what is known as - Biological Latin

"Latin was used in Western Europe as the language of science, and scientific names were in Latin or Greek"

Therefore they are scientific names and also latin names does this makes sense...
            but to be pedantic yes they are scientific names....

Regards
            Mark

------------------------------------------------------
            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

There is nothing pedantic about being accurate. Scientific names - comprised of generic and specific epithets (binomial) and, in some cases, subspecific epithets (trinomial) - are not "Latin names". Although a vast majority of these words, especially descriptive terms, have their basis in the Latin language, they also are derived from Greek, geographical locations, people's names [patronyms - aka honorifics], etc. The fact is that many words - in and outside of science - have their roots in Latin, but calling scientific names "Latin names" is incorrect, no matter how prevalent this mistake is. Not that I think this common error will ever disappear; certainly not any quicker than improperly capitalizing specific epithets.

Best regards, Michael

PS - At least pet peeves don't require food
              MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
              -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
              -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
              | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
              -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Comment

Argghhh - never call them "Latin names", unless you call all your spiders after characters from the film Gladiator

You could get away with calling some of them "Latinised names", but not all of them. As pointed out above, they are "scientific names".

Richard

Comment

Simon,

You have started yet another forum that has had people expressing lots of different views! At least I am not the brunt of the discussions this time!!! And on another note - I have been away on business the last two weeks, I will post your spider on Monday.

It is important to try and get to grips with the scientific names, as quite often they are indicative of the species type and its endemic locality. Often the final part of the scientific name is attributed the scientist who first identified the species. The problem with a common name is that it is often changed by different people and can be incorrectly attributed to the wrong spider.

The problem with a scientific names as they can be difficult to pronounce and scientists in their infinite wisdom - sometimes decide to change the names attributed!

There is a quite useful site where the scientific names are placed alongside the common name and also in some cases a photo. The list is not exhaustive but it is useful. www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk.

Perhaps the BTS could consider adding a web page dedicated to showing the Scientific Name - the common name and also a picture of the related arachnid? Again this could relate back to my suggested information forum for complete beginners.
                  Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Scientific names is the way to go. I have no problems in remembering scientific names the only problem I have is spelling on certain species and in some cases pronouncing the names how is it pronounced or am I pronouncing them right or is it a case or everyones different like some people say "tomato" some say "tomayto"

Comment

lol I seem to have a knack for starting debates im not sure if its a good thing or not though, thanks for that link Jay now I have a couple of places I can learn from

Comment

Working...
                      X