Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to the BTS after well over ten years...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the BTS after well over ten years...

Hey, newbie alert.

I've been out of the hobby for many, many years and have just bought the family a Salmon Pink and an nice big viv (after being asked by my five year-old son, honest!)... the bug has hit me again and I'm raring to go, I'll be digging my old Journals out this weekend, but I have a quick question...

I seem to remember that is possible to keep several Avicularia together in one tank... any advice?
    Lasiodora parahybana

Originally posted by Coat394 View Post
    Hey, newbie alert.

I've been out of the hobby for many, many years and have just bought the family a Salmon Pink and an nice big viv (after being asked by my five year-old son, honest!)... the bug has hit me again and I'm raring to go, I'll be digging my old Journals out this weekend, but I have a quick question...

I seem to remember that is possible to keep several Avicularia together in one tank... any advice?
    Welcome back to the hobby and welcome back to the BTS! I personally would not keep Avics together unless you have a huge tank settle each one in one at a time or bring them up together. I know a few who have done this succesfully, and Avics can be found living close to each other in the wild but my advice, don't take the risk.

Cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Coat394,
      Avicularia avicularia is the main one that most prob could be kept together, These have been said to be 'social' Tarantulas. If this was done however they would have to be Tarantulas of similar size.
      Along with that you would have to provide a number of hides ( for example ...plastic hides, cork tubes, bamboo tubes ete ) This species bulids hammock like webs. when these spiders ( tarantulas ) are put together lots of ''live action'' is to be seen.''Collins Exotic Pet Handbook By David manning''
      However putting species together like this does have its down sides...
      For example, you would have to provide and make sure that every tarantula has enough food. And there is always the risk of cage mates eating each other.
      This is about as much info i can provide as i have never kept a group myself before.
      Many breeders like to keep tarantulas solitary. As they then have there own food rather than sharing with other cage mates.

Hope this infomation helps you.
      Dan.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was thinking of spiderlings initially. But it seems a bit of a minefield.

Still, there are no stupid questions, eh?

Mark... still can't figure the name change, I have e-mailed you!
        Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew climance View Post
          Thanks guys, I was thinking of spiderlings initially. But it seems a bit of a minefield.

Still, there are no stupid questions, eh?

Mark... still can't figure the name change, I have e-mailed you!
          Andrew
          Sorted for you.

Cheers
          Mark
          P.S If you want to keep a communial set-up try Poecilotheria regalis

------------------------------------------------------
          Serious Ink tattoo studio -
          Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Welcome back Andrew, the bug always gets ya back in the end.
            spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Hi Andrew,

Like Mark said i woulnd try to keep Avics together unless they are in a very large tank.

There is one exception though, Avic minatrix. I have kept these together from spiderling but they are not social like P. formosa where they live together in a group web, they are more "communual" where they will tolerate other specimens living side by side.I once had 3 females living together from spiderlings in a planted up 20w x 20d x 30h Custom Aquaria tank.

I have found that most Avicularia spiderlings will tolerate each other untill around 3rd-4th moult when they discover cannibalism.

Hope this helps

Ray

Comment

Thanks for the advice...

I'll get my feet under the table for a bit (I have a Sericopelma rubronitens on its way) but I think maybe I'll give it a go once I have found my feet.

I appreciate the warm welcome!
                Lasiodora parahybana

Comment

On the subject of communal living I have a question in this area that I was hoping could be answered and more towards Ray Gabrials area of expertise. If say, a pair of Pocilotheria Fasciata since spiderling given enoug hides, room etc when they start to grow and seperate them if I have a male and female will these breed or will they be less likely to breed as they were kept together previously?

Comment

Working...
                  X