Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im new with a question

hi all,

i recently bought a b smithi (red-knee) spiderling last saturday and have re-housed from his little pot into a cricket tub (with his little pot) but he doesnt seem to want to eat, i put a small cricket in with him on saturday and its still wandering around with him today.

is this normal for a sling to take a while to eat?

he seems quite happy and is wondering around his cricket tub.

thanks in advance

lee smith
    Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
    Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
    P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Originally posted by lee smith View Post
    hi all,

i recently bought a b smithi (red-knee) spiderling last saturday and have re-housed from his little pot into a cricket tub (with his little pot) but he doesnt seem to want to eat, i put a small cricket in with him on saturday and its still wandering around with him today.

is this normal for a sling to take a while to eat?

he seems quite happy and is wondering around his cricket tub.

thanks in advance

lee smith
    Lee
    Spiderlings molt often, I would hazzard a guess the little fellow is getting ready to molt, therefore off his food. Remove the cricket if you have not already done so. Give it a few days and you'll most likley find a larger spiderling than you had before

Give it a few days after molting to harden up, then feed, all should be well.

Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

thanks for the fast reply, i will remover the cricket an keep i close eye on the spiderling.

Comment

My B.Smithi is tiny and she shed the other day for the first time in the 3 months I have had him, that was over a week ago and she still hasnt eaten, one thing I have noticed though is the cricket small enough for him?
        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

i think the cricket is small enough, its about 2-3mm in length. the spider has a leg span of about the size of a penny.

Comment

yeh that seems small enough what I used to do was put a few in at a time and I have never seen her eat I know she must because shes still alive I find it hard to keep track on mine because shes so small
            The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

"tiny" seems to be quite happy now, it looked like it was takeing him a few days to get used to being out of his little pot that he came in.

he has since started to eat considerably, he's had 6 crickets in the last 3 days and looks quite fat indeed.

im glad he's eating and happy now and he is very active for such a small thing.

Comment

Oh I have noticed that slings, once they discover food, eat like crazy!
                My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                Ray Gabriel

Comment

I have a N.chromatus sling that will only eat prekilled food. I use small pieces of mealworm or a tiny cricket.

Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by cliff View Post
                    I have a N.chromatus sling that will only eat prekilled food. I use small pieces of mealworm or a tiny cricket.

Cliff
                    Intersting! I dont think my Chile rose would eat if it wasnt alive! Not sure about the white knee tho!
                    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                    Ray Gabriel

Comment

"tiny" is eating really well now, hes been having 2 crickets every day and is looking very fat indeed, his abdomen is about 3-4 times the size of his main body.

is it possible to over-feed a sling??

Comment

Originally posted by lee smith View Post
                        "tiny" is eating really well now, hes been having 2 crickets every day and is looking very fat indeed, his abdomen is about 3-4 times the size of his main body.

is it possible to over-feed a sling??
                        I have heard that overfeeding can cause problems with molting.

Cliff

Comment

he just molted the other day and is looking really well. he now looks black and white instead of the pink colour that he was, so next moult me may start showing his coulours even more.

he seems to be regulating his feeding him self, i put 3 crickets in with him yesterday and hes eaten 1 sofar and is starting to fill out more.

Comment

Tarantula feeding

That's a good point Cliff. I was told when I first started keeping tarantulas that, unlike scorpions for example, they cannot over-eat. The behaviour of my own t's bears this out. However I have heard that over-full tarantulas sometimes have trouble with moulting. How do they get over full if they can't over-eat? Any chance of someone letting me know?
                            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

sling food

Hi, I do the same with mine. When I got my first sling she wasn't able to kill the maggots herself so I did it for her and she ate happily. Since then I've done this with all my spiderlings up to a size of about 4-5cm. They seem to like it, at least they've eaten the maggots!
                              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                              X