Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substrate question.

hi

i was wondering if perlite is a good subtrate to use or is it too soft and fluffy??

i asking as i have used perilite in the tub with my b.smithi sling and have just replaced the bark chips in the tank with my g.rosea with perite as the bark smelled "fusty", i have noticed that her feet sometimes sink or turnover when she walks.

thanks in advance

lee smith
    Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
    Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
    P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Perlite is good as a substrate but it would work better if the perlite is mixed in with potting soil or some other form of substrate I use this method of either part potting compost and vermiculite or perlite and potting compost. Plus perlite is light and cheap.

Comment

thanks, i will go and find some nice grade potting compost to use. i find wilko's is a good place to get perlite/vermiculite/compost from.

Comment

Yeah any garden centre will have them and at cheap prices.Only downside to the potting soil is when it dries out it never goes moist again and is pretty gtitty but with perlite and the like doesnt have the problem as much

Comment

thats ok, im used to siving compost for use with my ant farms. doe i still need to sterilise it?? as i sterilise the compost that i use in my ant farms.

Comment

I havent sterilised the potting compost as I was always thought that it was free from parasites and chemicals well any chemicals that are toxic. There is always the option of sterilising to make sure.

Comment

B&Q are currently selling packs of 4 coir blocks as multipurpose compost for under £3, each block expands to 10 litres, they seen ok, maybe a little bit grittier than the "branded" pet ones.
              Dave

Comment

Working...
              X