No announcement yet.

Itching hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it most certainly is, some spiders cause the itching sensations to your hands worse than others, one of my old salmon pinks made the palm of my hand itch so much i itched it till i was bleeding, even just handling objects in the vivarium will cause it as your taratula leaves little hairs allover that you cant see. the best advise is use disposable surgical gloves or a pair of marigolds before cleaning tanks etc.
    http://www.spidersfromtheweb.co.uk

http://www.spidersfromtheweb.com

A.Geniculata
    B.Boehmi
    B.Smithi
    C.Crawshayi
    H.Lividum
    H.Minax
    H.Schmidti
    L.Parahybana
    O.Aureotibialis
    P.Canceridies
    P.Chordatus
    P.Frasciata
    P.Murinus
    P.Regalis
    T.Blondi

Comment

I'll second that, buy a big box of surgical gloves and throw them away after each use.

Don't pay the over inflated prices charged by some shops for 1 or 2 pairs, try here:

I use these particular gloves on a professional basis and they are pretty good, these are also the slightly longer ones that will come about a 1/3 up your forearm:

To be honest, having anti-histamines about is no bad thing as they can be very useful if you are also ever bitten or stung, to take asa precautionary measure.

Comment

urticating hairs

I'm glad someone else has admitted to this first! I've been caught the same way with my Avic metallica, although it wasn't nearly as bad as what you've had to put up with. I had the skin in my hand a while and felt a mild stinging, realised what had happened and got rid of it. Fortunately a bit of selotape followed by soap and water did the trick. I don't know much about T. blondi but I hope the problem clears up.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

This may be a little pedantic but, also watch your eyes!

I know a chap, who knows a chap............................ Who opened a vivarium with a sliding ventilated top. His spider was facing down into a burrow and as he looked in the spider flicked and sent hairs into his face. One the hairs managed to get him in the eye and resulted in him visiting casualty to get it removed. No mean feat in itself.

I am not saying all rush out and buy saftey glasses, but keep it in mind when dealing with a flicking spider, eyes are also equally at risk.
          Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Originally posted by nicoladolby View Post
            I'm glad someone else has admitted to this first! I've been caught the same way with my Avic metallica, although it wasn't nearly as bad as what you've had to put up with. I had the skin in my hand a while and felt a mild stinging, realised what had happened and got rid of it. Fortunately a bit of selotape followed by soap and water did the trick. I don't know much about T. blondi but I hope the problem clears up.
            Whats with the bit about the selotape, whats this method about. Quite interesting

Comment

Originally posted by J M Clegg View Post
              This may be a little pedantic but, also watch your eyes!

I know a chap, who knows a chap............................ Who opened a vivarium with a sliding ventilated top. His spider was facing down into a burrow and as he looked in the spider flicked and sent hairs into his face. One the hairs managed to get him in the eye and resulted in him visiting casualty to get it removed. No mean feat in itself.

I am not saying all rush out and buy saftey glasses, but keep it in mind when dealing with a flicking spider, eyes are also equally at risk.
              Nothing is pedantic when it comes to this the last thing you want is hair in your eyes or the back of your throat

Comment

Adam - Sellotape stuck down on the skin and then removed will often stick the offending hairs to them and at least facilitate the removal of inbedded hairs from skin. A bit like the Mrs waxing her legs!!!

Probably wouldn't recommend the sellotape on the eyes though!!!!

Jay
                Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

sellotape

Thats right,
                  Its the same principle of using sellotape to remove hair and fluff from your clothes, only its removing it from the skin.
                  sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                  X