Soil Worms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soil Worms

I have noticed a few small white worms of about 0.5 - 1 cm in length climbing on the walls of one of my spider jars. They also appear to be segmented.

I've heard about the devastating consequences of nematode infection and so am very wary, but assume that the worms I'm seeing are far too big to be nematodes. I always sterilise my media and the spider seems quite happy.

I would say they're too big for nematodes, and they wouldn't be crawling away like that. They could well be phorid fly maggots.

My Collection:

Comment

I would say thay are some form of parasite such as phorid fly maggots These usually appear when there isnt enough ventilation in most cases. Not the primary reason but could be a factor. Just make sure there is enough air holes so that the air circulates it so it is still humid but not damp and muggy.

Comment

Nematodes aren't segmented, so you can relax on that score.

Comment

Yes - Phorid fly larvae sound about right. Thanks for the advice - it's noted. They do seem to appear just when I get abit too enthusiastic with the sprayer.

Has anyone heard of a humidistat for tarantulas?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
            Yes - Phorid fly larvae sound about right. Thanks for the advice - it's noted. They do seem to appear just when I get abit too enthusiastic with the sprayer.

Has anyone heard of a humidistat for tarantulas?
            yes you can buy the little dial ones or spend a little more on a digital one which is more accurate, if you search for a hydrometer it will find them
            The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Ah yes - I have one of those.

I was thinking of humidity regulator which maintains constant humidity in a similar way to a thermostat maintaining constant temperature.

They seem to exist for large spaces, but I wonder if there are any for tarantula terrariums.

Comment

Working...
              X