First Tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Tarantula

Hi everyone, I'm new on this forum, so if this is in the wrong place, I do apologise. Anyway, this may just sound like a somewhat daft question, but I've never owned a tarantula before, so I figure asking is my safest option.

I have been looking at getting a tarantula for a long time and I've read a lot about the care of them and feel that I am ready to own a tarantula, but the thing is, I'm not too sure what would be best to get, as I have never owned one before, my best friend (who has several different breeds), told me to stay away from anything with the word 'baboon' in its name as they are much more agressive than other. I've been considering a Mexican Red Knee, but wanted to know what other options there are, and would like to know if a Mexican Red Knee would be a good idea as a first tarantula.

I very recently (two days ago) got my first ever tarantula too. So check some of my topics, they might contain some new guy questions that you might also be having. As for the mexican red knee, I think that should be ok from what I've heard. I personally went for the chile rose, and its been fine so far and the curly hair is another people often advised me was good for begginers. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your tarantula, I know I like mine.

Comment

Julie
      Yes Mexican Red knee (Brachypelma smithi) is an excellent choice, they are by easy to keep, great to look at and easy to get hold of as captive bred.

The Curly Hair, (Brachypelma albopilosum) another excellent choice, again easy to maintain, and to get hold of.

Chile roses are also fine but personally I have stopped suggesting these as first time pets as they are always wild caught.

Your friend is quite correct Baboon spiders are best looked into when you have a few tarantula keeping months and years under your belt.

The same goes for the Earth tigers, tarantulas from South East Asia etc. These are personal favourites of mine.

If you have any questions about your new tarantula - this is the place to ask OK. Even if you think they are stupid or silly questions or are embarrassed to ask, don't be! We have all asked these questions in the past.

I for one am happy to answer them.

Best regards
      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

"Chile roses are also fine but personally I have stopped suggesting these as first time pets as they are always wild caught."

I had no idea there were many wild caught Chile rose!

They are right in some of the kind of tarantulas you should start on. I started with red knee and a month later a mexican black velvet, may call their common nameas red rump but the first book I read called them (by common) mexican black velvet which I am sticking too. Anyway, some other species are becoming more available and as such are more great first timer species available.
        Whats become available very quick and many around are; (1)Grammostola Aureostriata (Chacoan Gold Knee) theres 2 forms Argentine and Paraguay forms (colour variation). In fact many Grammostola would be suitable.
        (2) Aphonoplema seemanni (Costa Rican strip knee or zebra knee) these make great for beginners although somewhat more nervous and skittish they are great to have. Nervousness shouldnt be too much of an issue if you never intend on holding them.
        (3) there are many dwarf species becoming available now and most are docile and easy enough to keep although juveniles and subadults are best bought as the slings are really small and delicate. Holothel incei (Trinidad Olive dwarf)

Comment

Thanks, I've heard that zebra knee's aren't so good for first time, but I won't be picking it up (cause that's just mean to the spider, and I don't fancy getting bitten). Well I'm going to go and look at a place I've found near me that sells tarantulas and ask a few questions, and get a few more books.

Comment

They are more nervous than temperamental which is why they are not advised as a first but if no one is handling it its not so bad. The rest are most recommended

Comment

first spider

Hi Julie'
              if you go to www.brachypelmas.co.uk you'll find info on most species in the Brachypelma genus. As Mark said they are the perfect starter tarantula and this website has pictures of all the species mentined as well so you can have a good browse and choose. Also if you are thinking of possibly getting an arborial spider, can I recommend Avicularias. they are gentle and whilst quite reserved they are complete cute furballs as well. Hope this helps.
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Well I have my tank all set up and ready, and I have reserved a beautiful pink toe. It was the last one they had left, and it's all mine! So I'm a very happy little girl right now. I'm going to get it tomorrow, I can't wait I'm so excited.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith (pe@nut) View Post
                  "Chile roses are also fine but personally I have stopped suggesting these as first time pets as they are always wild caught."
                  Hehehe, except the 200 or so hatchlings i'm potting up at the mo

Quick question on the subject - they are now past the ewl stage and are just starting to crawl about, when will i need to start feeding them??

Sorry for the quick hijack Julie, congrats on the pink toe, they're lovely
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Julie May View Post
                    Well I have my tank all set up and ready, and I have reserved a beautiful pink toe. It was the last one they had left, and it's all mine! So I'm a very happy little girl right now. I'm going to get it tomorrow, I can't wait I'm so excited.

So, you should be picking up any time soon???? Bet you had trouble sleeping.......??? lol.
                    **Congratulations on your new arrival**
                    Leve fit quod bene fertur onus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Gunter View Post
                      Hehehe, except the 200 or so hatchlings i'm potting up at the mo

Quick question on the subject - they are now past the ewl stage and are just starting to crawl about, when will i need to start feeding them??

Sorry for the quick hijack Julie, congrats on the pink toe, they're lovely
                      Dave
                      wait until they are active spiderlings, running about etc. and congratulations on the success, we should breed more of this species.

Regards
                      Mark

P.S Also to Julie all the best with your new spider, the start of many I suspect!

------------------------------------------------------
                      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Well as of yesterday I am the proud owner of little Bodmin! I'm a very happy girl.

Comment

Pics then please Julie
                          Dave

Comment

yes pics please of the lovely girl. oh and of the spider too Ill take some of bodmin while Im at yours. Might come back with a new spider if we go to kings

Comment

Working...
                            X