antisocial spider 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antisocial spider 2

I haven't seen my bahai scarlet spiderling for days but holding the jar up to daylight I could see the silhouette of a spider on it's back: presumably the spider moulting. The humidity was right, so I carefully put the jar down. I then suddenly saw a little burrow off the main one right up against the glass with the - slightly larger - spider sitting inside.

It doesn't appear to be bothered by light and I wonder if the feel of it's burrow or surroundings are more important than the presence of light. I suppose I'm worried that it will get confused when trying to exit and hunt! This view is useful however when working out where it is!
    Being new to this species, I'm also not sure whether to try and remove its moulted skin with forceps or let it sort itself out.

My S.crassipes has made an intricate system of webs outside it's burrow and the crickets are dissapearing so I'm assuming it is happy. I do see it occasionally.

Bahai scarlet - Lasiodora klugi?

If the moult and the spider are separate, then that's good news. It is probably lying low in its burrow because it takes a few days for their exoskeleton to harden up after a moult. Before they have hardened up even their fangs are soft so they are extremely vulnerable, hence the reclusive behaviour. Spiders can also be sluggish immediately after a moult so it's best not to shine light on them if you can avoid it. They really are best left alone, and virtually all tarantulas are sensitive to bright light.

Give it a few days before introducing any food. I usually give mine up to a week after a moult before feeding, and if it's far enough away from the spider, you're probably OK to gently remove the skin

As for the S. crassipes, if it's anything like mine, it'll soon be roaming around outside the burrow

Last edited by Phil Rea; 18-12-06, 02:39 PM.

My Collection:

Comment

Thanks.

Yes - I am looking forward to them growing in confidence. My first tarantula was wonderfully sociable (curly haired), but some of these more challenging species seem to be less so. Oh well, as long as the crickets keep disapearing then that's the main thing.

I caught the s.crassipes making a web which was very interesting.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
        Thanks.

Yes - I am looking forward to them growing in confidence. My first tarantula was wonderfully sociable (curly haired), but some of these more challenging species seem to be less so. Oh well, as long as the crickets keep disapearing then that's the main thing.

I caught the s.crassipes making a web which was very interesting.

Daniel
        My S. crassipes was outside its burrow earlier having a clean

Steve Nunn who is the breeder of the current crop of Australian T's available over here has said in the past that they're hardly shy as they grow, so look forward to seeing yours more often. Watching them take a cricket almost as big as themselves is an amazing sight!

My Collection:

Comment

yes - L. klugi (bahai scarlet) is one of my three spiders.

I like that photo of S.crassipes emerging from its burrow by the way. While I was living in Aus I wanted to get one, but sadly was living in college and so couldn't. So nice to experience them now.

I'm waiting for mine to emerge for hunting before I add any crickets. I've kept a discrete eye on the L.klugi through the side of its jar and it is moving its legs a little so as you say its exoskeleton must be hardening.

These bird-eating species are fascinating...

Comment

selenocosmia

I know what you mean about the s. crassipes and the webbing. I have a specimen of selenocosmia sp. sarina, the sister species to crassipes. Its built a large web tent in one corner of the tank and is excavating a burrow under that (little pockets of earth keep appearing at the web entrance). Although I've caught it roaming for food a couple of times, these have always been late at night. I usually hear it before I see it though, a very noisy spider. Also I really like the thing's coat, the spid's exoskeleton has a sheen to it like velvet. A very striking tarantula.
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
            X