Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know anything about Lasiodorides striatus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about Lasiodorides striatus?

Hi all,

I purchased a bunch of L. striatus slings a couple of years ago, they've sat in a corner of my collection not really doing much and growing extremely slowly. Apart from one who ate all the pies However after 2 years he was still only about 2.5" (most of the others are knocking around 1-1.5") and last week much to my surprise he moulted out into a 3" ish mature male! Now my understanding was that L. striatus was supposed to be quite a bulky species so my question is is there a huge sexual dimorphism in this species or have I got a freak? Or could he maybe not be L. striatus?

Find attached a photo of the offending spider
    Attached Files

Well the one in the pic looks more like Thrixopelma pruriens, L. striatus males are much larger with distinct striping on the legs.

The spider in your pic could also be a male of T. ockerti, but there is some confusion as to which species T. ockerti (yes another Gunter species) really is.

Ray

Comment

Thanks Ray,

Good call I think, looking at the pictures of T. pruriens in various stages of development look a decent match to the T's I have here, better than L. striatus anyway!

I guess there's not much I can do to get a definitive id, so these guys aren't going to get mated

Comment

Hi,

Dont know where you are (I am near Swindon) but if you can get the male to one of the more experianced members i think they might be able to help.

We are out for a curry at Rafus in Highworth (all welcome to come along) if you are game come over and bring the spid, i can have a better look at it then.
        There is an old BTS article which has pics of Lasiodorides species male and female with T. pruriens, dont know if its on the members area

Ray

Comment

Don't know if this is any help, but here is a picture of a female T.pruriens

I've got a sling upstairs too, will try to get a picture of it later tonight (about 1" legspan)

And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Richardson View Post

I've got a sling upstairs too, will try to get a picture of it later tonight (about 1" legspan)
            Bit dark because i didn't have the battery on my camera to use the flash, but here you go.

And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

This is the article you'll need to see:

Gabriel, R. 2003. What spider is that? Lasiodorides striatus and Lasiodorides polycuspulatus. Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 19 (1): 14–18.

Cheers,
              Richard

Comment

Hi, I have a lasidora striatus and she is big. With a 7 inch leg span, her body is huge. She is still alot of the time. For a few days now she hasn't moved from her water. You can see pictures here: http://dgrose.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                X