Why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why??

Why do some folks pat fortunes for T Blondi and little for Lasiodora parahybana? As big Spiders go L P is a much sexier looking and an easier to keep spider, John Hancock used to have a female which would fill a shoe box and when gravid had an abdomen like a tennis ball ( no exaggeration!) dont get me wrong a perfect famail T B is a sight to behold and a nice specimen to have in your collection but if you was gagging to have a giant in your collection why not the L P? just my thoughts what do you think?
    A man who makes no mistakes makes nothing.

I must admit I got my T.Blondi first but now I have one of each, for me its because the T.Blondi was more talked about as the biggest spider in the world so i wanted one I do like them both I think they are both pretty spiders
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

i have been interested in theraphosa ever since i saw a really neat documentary about them a few years ago, i think they are lovely looking T's. also as there are not many theraphosa around im intending to breed them when they get old enough, which will help stop people stealing them from their natural habitat.

T.blondi is very important to the tribes people in their homeland as they worship them as deietys and also eat them if they cant find any other food stuffs.

i will probly get a Lasiodora parahybana sometime when i see some available as fresh slings.

i prefer now to buy my T's as young as possible so that i can see its personality develop as it grows.

but this is just my opinion
      Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
      Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
      P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

The biggest spider leg span wise yes i agree, well to date any way you never know whats out there ( have you seen harry potter!!) but sheer size and colour wise, its got to be L P ? hasnt it? im talking adult female here. Granted they are both awesome beasts I remember seeing one for the first time at the BTS show in Chesington Zoo it think it was ( ahem a couple of years ago ahem) and i thought i had died and gone to spider heaven but then i kept and bred L P and well i dont know went the other way so to speak in big T terms obviously.... just my thoughts . has anyone got pics to compare both adult females?

Comment

Originally posted by lee smith View Post
          i have been interested in theraphosa ever since i saw a really neat documentary about them a few years ago, i think they are lovely looking T's. also as there are not many theraphosa around im intending to breed them when they get old enough, which will help stop people stealing them from their natural habitat.

T.blondi is very important to the tribes people in their homeland as they worship them as deietys and also eat them if they cant find any other food stuffs.

i will probly get a Lasiodora parahybana sometime when i see some available as fresh slings.

i prefer now to buy my T's as young as possible so that i can see its personality develop as it grows.

but this is just my opinion
          Mac Donalds is probably worshiped now sadly lol I recorded some footage for Nigel Marvins Giant Spiders with the T B with John Hancock, all day for 10 seconds of a spider kicking urticating hairs! I itched for days after that!! lol....
          Good point about having T's from spiderlings, this is most important i always but an adult and a ling of the same species best of both worlds..

Comment

if anyone has any fresh Lasiodora parahybana slings i will be happy to have one from them and have fun studying and careing for it.

Comment

There have been many cases where som LP have been found to be bigger than TB. I personally prefer the LP they have a better temprement and have better colour variations as many say a gravid female TB looks great I dont see the big fuss

Comment

I think Simon hit the nail on the head. Theraphosa blondi is the one with it's picture in the Guinness Book of Records.

I wouldn't mind one myself; but the price, even for slings, still puts me off. Going purely by looks I think I prefer the salmon pink of the 'salmon pink' anyway. And I know that sounds like sour grapes!

Comment

Hi Everyone.

I lost my T.Blondi Juvi a few months ago - my fault entirely I let the humidity slip during the hot spell. Much as love them - the price for even a sling is stupid. There big, but there not very pretty. It's like buying a pair of trainers and paying 10X what there worth because they have a sport stars name on them. Just because they hold the record everyone wants one. In reality in a Vivarium - your unlikely to grow one on to record sizes anyway.

I picked up a Lasiodora parahybana sling for £1.50 about 3 months ago and it's doing just great. Very pretty and easy to keep. There also very cheap to buy as slings as when the hatch - there can be HUNDREDS of them in the sac.

It's a stunning and in my opinion underrated spider. Everyone should have one in there collection.

Just my two' peneth!

Jay.
                  Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

im really considering getting a LP now, but i cant find anywhere with fresh slings.

does anyone know anyone or somewhere thats got some slings for sale??

Comment

I have a Lasiodora Klugi and it is also becoming quite beautiful as it grows.

I would certainly go for beauty over size but these seem to have both!

Comment

P.S. I purchased my L.Klugi from the spider shop.

Comment

saw a juv T.blondi for £50 today at my local exotics store,seems a bit steep! also why are B.smithi so expensive,£14.95 for a sling in a film pot and £30 for one the size of my chile rose now! I know all Brachys are CITES listed but there are captive bred and very common!
                          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                          Ray Gabriel

Comment

T.blondi's do tend to be expensive because they are harder to get hold of, the reason for this is that the T.blondi doesnt lay as many eggs as most of the other species. T.blondi slings can sell for prices ranging from £10-£30.

B.smithi slings are usually cost between £3-£9, juv/adult B.smithi's cost alot due them being slow growing so it takes alot of time caring and feeding to get them bigger.

Comment

Wait until the show.

At last years BTS show T.blondi's were everywhere! It seems that everyone who had one had brought it to sell.

If your looking for one - I would wait until the show, where you may pick up a bargain. I am on the look out for a number of Juvenile spiders and slings but personally I am waiting for the show as I know I could pick up a bargain or two. Last year I was delighted, I picked up a H.lividum sling £3, Versicolor Sling £3.50, G.aureostriata £2. Plus a good number of others, it was bargains galore. This year I am taking £200 with me! And as a bonus to the bargains, my 2 sons loved the day out too.

You can take the man out of Yorkshire - but not the Yorkshire out of the man!!
                              Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

Working...
                              X