CITES listed T's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CITES listed T's

i was just reviewing the CITES lists and was wondering if there is any projects running to record numbers of T's in the wild and if there is any projects running to repopulate the stocks in the wild??

the speices on the list are:

Aphonopelma albiceps
    Aphonopelma pallidum
    Brachypelma spp. (all Brachypelma)
    Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
    Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
    P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

I was talking about this with someone the other day, their veiws were that not enough people care but im not so sure, surely they know roughly how endangered they are it would be a shame for them to go extinct but theres so many in captivity that it wouldnt be too hard to reintroduce them its a bit harder to count tarantulas in the wild than elephants for example
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Thanks to some recent reading and discussion, I learned that Aphonopelma pallidum isn't in the pet/arachnoculture trade. AFAIK. Could make breeding projects difficult, at least among that community.

Comment

i think that more groups should we working on repopulateing the wild stock of T's.

one way of recording rough numbers would be to sytematicly search whole areas for burrows of females and log their exact co-ordinates using GPS, then re-checking the same area every 1-2 years to see if there are any changes or more burrows.
        Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
        Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
        P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

sounds like a good way to do it but there must be a way of checking the actual numbers of t's like a tag or a colour code for the year introduced or found that would give a far better idea of the actual numbers but all t's introduced would all have to be un related or do defects not occur in interbred t's ????????
          B.Smithi
          G.Rosea (RCF)
          B.Vagans
          P.Irminia
          A.Avicularia
          L.Parahybana

Comment

Working...
          X