chilean common/rose confusion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chilean common/rose confusion!

reading S Marshall's Tarantulas and other Arachnids and i see there two listed as seperate species. of course they had the old name of Phrixotrichus back then but that doesn't bother me. What concens me is the difference between chilean rose and chilean common (P.cala and P. spatulata respectively) or are they just synonyms of the same T? This book was published in 1996 so the info isn't that old.
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

It was what we now call the "Red" colour morph of chile rose that was the beautiful/rose, and the "normal" colour morph was the common.

It's all under rosea RCF / NCF now.
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

The info from '96 is older than you think G cala and G spatulata names are no longer used. Now it is G rosea and G rosea (RCF).

Comment

Officially they are both classed as Grammostola rosea (Walckenaer, 1837) irrespective of colour form.

My Collection:

Comment

thanks for clearing that up,i guess a lot can happen in 11 years! i've seen a few pics of the RCF online and it looks very nice,but its not mentioned in the book-they're all pics of G.rosea to me! there's also a dwarf rose mentioned,with pic,that looks nice too!(Paraphysa manicata-I'm guessing that name's changed since too!)
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

Hello!

Originally posted by Larry View Post
            there's also a dwarf rose mentioned,with pic,that looks nice too!(Paraphysa manicata-I'm guessing that name's changed since too!)
            Yes it is Paraphysa scrofa nowadays.
            All the best,
            Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhail F. Bagaturov View Post
              Hello!

Yes it is Paraphysa scrofa nowadays.
              Google time....
              Ray Gabriel

Comment

thanks for clearing that up,i guess a lot can happen in 11 years! i've seen a few pics of the RCF online and it looks very nice,but its not mentioned in the book-they're all pics of G.rosea to me! there's also a dwarf rose mentioned,with pic,that looks nice too!(Paraphysa manicata-I'm guessing that name's changed since too!)
                G. rosea RCF are lovely spiders to look at Larry. Lee from the spidershop's got a good pic of one on his site (and I have it on good authority that the ones he's got are very nice ones).

Look here : http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=887
                Last edited by Phil Rea; 12-01-07, 01:36 PM. Reason: Fixed link

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
                  G. rosea RCF are lovely spiders to look at Larry. Lee from the spidershop's got a good pic of one on his site (and I have it on good authority that the ones he's got are very nice ones).

Look here : http://http://www.thespidershop.co.u...roducts_id=887
                  Thanks Phil but no more Ts for me for a good while-I'd like one to survive past the juvenille stage first else Im just wasting everyones time and energy!
                  Plus theres just no room for more and my missus will put her foot down if I suggested another!
                  Ray Gabriel

Comment

Before all the pentaxonomists get thier shreddies in a dark passage, Richard Gallon and i are lookin at this and have been examining types, so wait for a future BTS Journal.

Ray G

Comment

Look forward to reading it

Comment

Yes, Ray, we always ready to read a stuff from You
                        All the best,
                        Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Gabriel View Post
                          Before all the pentaxonomists get thier shreddies in a dark passage, Richard Gallon and i are lookin at this and have been examining types, so wait for a future BTS Journal.

Ray G
                          Is there anything you and Richard aren't looking at Ray?
                          Last edited by Phil Rea; 16-01-07, 09:41 AM.

My Collection:

Comment

phil,i'm just wondering what a pentaxonomist is! Either someone who classifies 5 different species as one or someone who makes lists of pentax cameras...
                            Ray Gabriel

Comment

phil,i'm just wondering what a pentaxonomist is!
                              It's Ray's trademark word regarding people who claim to be able to reliably 100% ID spiders from photographs (and generally fuzzy dark photos at that) Larry

As in one person saying, oh, "that's an Orphanaceus", and another person saying "no it's a Selenocosmia", and another person saying "no, it's a whatever"...

In reality the only way to reliably ID a particular spider is by examining either the spider or an exuvia and comparing it to known characters and keys for different genera and species (whether in published papers, or by directly comparing with the types).

This can be particularly the case as many interesting tarantula species are LBJs (little brown jobbies ) so it's immensely difficult to ID them photographically because many of them are superficially similar.

I think that's the point he's trying to get across. I'm sure he'll say otherwise if it's not

You should note however that some spiders can be accurately identified from reasonable photos (Pterinochilus lugardi is one, I am led to believe) and there are always exceptions to the rule.

The better the photographs, and the better they illustrate the key parts that indicate the differences, then the better the chance of a correct ID. For example, a close up of dorsal prolateral spike setae on a spider's maxillary margin would indicate Pterinochilus murinus, a patch of urticating hair on the prolateral face of a palp femur would indicate a member of the genus Ephebopus etc... Of course if it's a blurry photo of a brown/beige spider then the chances of a correct ID are correspondingly reduced.

The work that people like Richard Gallon, Ray, Volker von Wirth, Martin Huber, Robert Raven, Soren Rafn and many others like them (and societies like the BTS, DeArGe, ATA, and the ATS), are doing is gradually unravelling the key differences, and slowly educating dunces like me, so there's some hope
                              Last edited by Phil Rea; 17-01-07, 02:41 PM.

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                              X