No announcement yet.

Acanthoscurria sp. "Paraguay" Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acanthoscurria sp. "Paraguay" Question.

Hi There,

Im still a very new Tarantula keeper, I have six sub-adults alltogether (species listed in signature) which I have grown on from slings with advice from everywhere and I have just ordered my BTS Membership. I know for definate all the species are correct except my "Paraguay White Knee" as I was told it was. Ive looked everywhere for information on this species and I havent found any, all ive found are people selling them .

Ive been keeping it the same as my A.insubtilis and it seems to be doing fine if not better than fine it sits out all day and quite happily takes eats like a cow and is very well tempered.

My question is about the colours because she/he seems to change colour each moult which keeps making it difficult for me to compare to pictures of other Acanthoscurria species. One moult she/he will look like my A.insubtilis then next moult it will look like A.sternalis. Does anyone have a picture of a definate A. sp "Paraguay" which I can compare to?

Many Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Ok firstly what is a Paraguay white knee? i dont support these common names as they can mean anything For example the Panamanian white wooly, if you read Petrunkevitches paper almost all his spiders have "white wooly" hair on them. I cannot think of any species from Paraguay which has light coloured Patelas

I would need to see your specimens , A. sternalis is quite distinct from A. insubtilis, and Acanthoscurria sp Paraguay.

When Rogerio Bertrani was in the UK and visited my spider room, he confirmed the identification of my A. sternalis and thought that my Acanthoscurria sp Parapuay MIGHT (and for all of those who are about to do some tank label changes and price list changes i will say again MIGHT) be the real A. musculosa but Rogerio would need to see a male to CONFIRM this.

So far I have been unable to obtain a male from the origonal spiderlings produced by the w/c females.

Tracey Chard is "Acanthoscurria woman" she knows what she is talking about when it comes to these species amybe she can help?

Can you post pics of what you have?

You can not confirm the identification of most species from Photographs, no matter whos website you are directed to.

Ray

Comment

Hey Ray,

Cheers for the interesting information always good for a newbie like me.

I cant post any pics atm because am in process of buying new camera as have sold old one. As for calling it a Paraguay White Knee im sorry just what was written on the tub i got him/her in. :s I will see about contacting Tracey Chard on what to look out for as the T grows some more etc. but as you said it will still be very hard to CONFIRM the actual species unless I can show you some pictures etc. but many thanks for response I guess I will just have to wait.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

No probs with the pics, just post them up when you can or speak to Tracey Chard.

Ray

Comment

Working...
        X