male/female Maturation query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• male/female Maturation query

I know that male Ts dont generally live as long as females, but does that apply to true spiders too?
    I believe part of the reason for early maturation in male Ts may be to do with the development of the palpal emboli, Im not sure, but the thing is, those of trues are often remarkebly more complicated than those of Theraphosids.

Is there are a link, and does the 'fermale lives longer than males' rule apply to true spiders or other non-Theraphosid spiders?
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Not entirely sure about the lifespan of trues Larry, but I should think that it's similar. I wouldn't imagine that the males would survive a postultimate moult.

Mind you, true spider males get eaten more often by the females than do tarantula males (there is apparently conjecture that it is genetically advantageous for the male to be eaten by the female in true spiders), so post maturity life span is rather less of an issue

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
      Mind you, true spider males get eaten more often by the females than do tarantula males (there is apparently conjecture that it is genetically advantageous for the male to be eaten by the female in true spiders), so post maturity life span is rather less of an issue
      Yea I understand thats true, but not in the case of Tegenaria apparently-I've read he gets to leave of his own free will!
      Tegenaria, the english Tarantula
      My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
      Ray Gabriel

Comment

Working...
      X