Cyriopagopus "Blue" Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyriopagopus "Blue" Question

I've ordered a Cyriopagopus sp. "Blue" spiderling and I have a question about their set up. I've read that they are oppurtunistic in their housing requirements and can either burrow or live in an arboreal set up when young. I'm going to put it in a jam jar until it's a bit bigger but is it necessary to give it something to climb on, or even a small terrestrial hide?

Also I have ordered a C. cyaneopubescens spiderling. Same question: do they need something to climb on or will it be alright on just peat/vermiculite which I intend putting it on?

Thanks
    Visit our work in progress website here:
    http://www.tarantulabay.co.uk/
    http://tarantulabay.freephpbbforum.co.uk/

set ups for your new tarantulas

hi rich, i sugest you give them deep substate and somthing to climb on ,i have grown both on from slings keep your singer blue on high humidity and the gbb on low humidity, your singer blue will be happy to have somewhere to hide , the gbb will also like somthing to web from . dont blame yourself if the gbb dies,esp after a moult i only kept 4 from 7 even though i tried them wet or dry they seem to die for no reason , well i never found out why?? ,the singer blues seem to be more tolerant.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Goram View Post
      I've ordered a Cyriopagopus sp. "Blue" spiderling and I have a question about their set up. I've read that they are oppurtunistic in their housing requirements and can either burrow or live in an arboreal set up when young. I'm going to put it in a jam jar until it's a bit bigger but is it necessary to give it something to climb on, or even a small terrestrial hide?
      Richard
      House them in something like this when small. Grow on up to 2 inches then re house. All Mark's are in these tubs including the remaining Cyriopagopus species from Sarawak.

Small piece of cork and a inch or more soil, just cut a cross in the top with a sharp knife.

You'll find they will do well. Oh and you can get these tubs from Lee at Spidershop.

The mug and book is for scale ok.

Cheers
      Kim

------------------------------------------------------
      Earth Tiger Tour & Tattooing
      Guided trips to Borneo and beyond
      Forget the rest travel with the best!

Comment

Originally posted by paul towler View Post
        hi rich, i sugest you give them deep substate and somthing to climb on ,i have grown both on from slings keep your singer blue on high humidity and the gbb on low humidity, your singer blue will be happy to have somewhere to hide , the gbb will also like somthing to web from . dont blame yourself if the gbb dies,esp after a moult i only kept 4 from 7 even though i tried them wet or dry they seem to die for no reason , well i never found out why?? ,the singer blues seem to be more tolerant.
        Yep, found that out too, and they're not the cheapest to keep trying with!!! Mine died in moult. Popped the carapace and didn't shed out (hardened inside old skin) but had kept a medium humidity to prevent dry out during moults. Very upsetting.
        Will try this sp. again one day, but hate losing slings. Only one I've lost so far (touch wood) is this sp.
        Leve fit quod bene fertur onus.

Comment

They are also difficult to get a clean first moult from, I had around 40 nymphs, most got stuck and had to be put to sleep, I ended up with about 20, they were kept slightly moist to aid moulting, they are now 3rd moult and are having no problems ( says I, hoping).
          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've set them both up like the above picture with a peice of cork bark and I'll keep my fingers crossed about the GBB.
            Visit our work in progress website here:
            http://www.tarantulabay.co.uk/
            http://tarantulabay.freephpbbforum.co.uk/

Comment

GBBs come from a very dry area, too much moisture can kill them. They must be kept on very dry substrate with access to a water dish. Slings are a little more tolerant, but if you need to spray to give them water, spray a little on their web or on the side of the container, not on the substrate. Or just feed them enough well hydrated insects.
              You'll notice if you moisten their substrate too much they will stay off of it completely.

Here is some great info on this species.

Comment

Working...
              X