Vitalius roseus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitalius roseus

After reading about these not being as sold on 2 threads in here i thought i post a pic and see if someone, can identify it a Vitalius roseus or something else. Its about 1.5 inch. not the best pic camera is next door, so using webcam.

I am not sure what you have in your picture but it reminds me more of a young Acanthoscurria.

I have been fortunate enough to be present when shipments of wild caught spiders have arrived from Paraguay, and helped unpack them. In these shipments there were 3-4 species, G. auriostriata, E. campestratus, N. carapoensis and an Acanthoscurria sp.

All the containers were labeled as GA, EC, NC, and VR, the Acanthoscurria species being imported as Vitalus roseus.

R Bertrani examined some of these "Vitalus roseus" in my spider room and sugested they might be the real A. musculosa (see another thread, and he also said he could only confirm this from the male).

I dont know if the real Vitalus roseus is in the hobby but if it is who identified it? and who (from the pet trade) has access to the Butatan institute to compare what we have in the pet trade against the type?

Ray

Comment

so would it be worth saving a few moults form this T and sending them to someone who could determine what it is for any use for study etc.

Thanks Ray.

Comment

I dont have Bertranis paper at hand but i think you can tell the genus from the spermatheca if female, and on the mature male there is a small bump on the side of the palpal tibia if Acanthoscurria.

You probably wont be able to tell the species from this just the Genus.

Ray

Comment

Thought i would update as he or she grows, so heres the new pics, if it helps identify in any way.

Comment

Looks just like a A. Brocklehursti juvenile. the twin cream lines are just showing through on the knee, I'll email my friend and get him to sort through his pictures for an early image of his female, if so i'll put them up for comparison

Comment

thanks colin much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Barry,

My friend has said the photos are in the midst of armagedon in his loft, but he's had a look at the pictures you have posted and is pretty sure that its a juvi Brocklehursti. He's had a few so i would go along with his guesstimate, but like he says he can't be 100% sure.
                There's got to be someone here that can give a more positive answer, or have a specimen of the same age / size for comparison.

Sorry i can't close the case for you

Regards

Colin

Comment

thanks for the help colin, will repost when i have a bigger T to show. Wish petshops would use better judgement rather than just using money to do talking.

Comment

just an update, turned into a male, will post a pic soon as.

Comment

Working...
                    X