Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leg regeneration

Hello to you all,

Just a quick question, and I know that there is no hard/fast rule and it depends on so many factors, BUT, on average, how many moults would it take a spider to regenerate a limb lost through shed??

Subject details:
    Last night my C crawshayi sling (~2.5 cm span) moulted and cast a rear leg. I have no idea why, or where too as on examining the moult I can see no sign. There were no cricks in there either.
    This is the first time that a spider of mine has ever lost a limb, I know it's nothing too serious, and I've checked as well as I can, but see no fluids seeping from the trochanter.
    The only cause for concern is that it is a rear leg, so burrowing may now become a prob. I have left a hide in there as always, and I guess it still has a few self made tunnels.
    It will be interesting for me to witness the regeneration I guess.... But admittedly, I prefer my tarantulas whole.
    As stated I know it's not an exact science, but at this size I'm looking at a moult every 2-4 weeks I guess and was just wondering about other keepers exp.

Thank you.
    Mike
    Leve fit quod bene fertur onus.

Usually 2 moults is enough to have it perfectly reformed. One moult will give you a spindly legs, usually with no/less hair.

The earlier it happens after a moult, the greater the regeneration effect.
    And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Yep, at that size I have to agree, three at the most.

You will be surprised just how well they do cope!

Comment

Working...
      X