Beginner Sling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Sling?

I did do a bit of searching but couldnt really find an answer to this.
    Im looking at getting my first Sling or two!!!!
    I've read about species that are supposed to be aggressive and species that are docile and recomended for beginners.

My question is, are there any slings that are recomended for someone wanting to raise a one for the first time?

Thanks for any answers.

Mike

in my experience i found all the common T slings the easiest to raise, things like G. Rosea B. smithi and the such like but i also raised about 40 L. parahybana 1st instar slings with only one fatality. there is others i have raised too but that was years(about 10) ago and ive only just got back into the hobby so im struggling to remember latin names of them, i think the common name of one of them was a giant stripe knee? and another was a mombassa starburst P.murinus as i remember, mind you that ones was very quick and aggressive so not the best to start with. i remember cleaning out its viv one day ind it was up the forceps and at the top of my arm before i could blink!!! not the greatest experience of my life i tell you

Comment

i remember cleaning out its viv one day ind it was up the forceps and at the top of my arm before i could blink!!! not the greatest experience of my life i tell you
      I bet it wasnt!!

Well to be honest, I already have a G. Rosea and B. Smithi so would like something different.

I would really like either a T. Blondi or a G. Aureostriata, but havent seen any for sale yet. Well Im going to (hopefully) order on Saturday so I'll have a scan round some of the online dealers to see what else i can find.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Personally id go for either a Brachypelma Smithi spiderling <mexican red knee>, Grammostola Rosea <Spatulata>?<Chilean Rose, some names have changed since i last collected > ! Brachypelma Albopilolsa, <Curly haired>.

All of the above are relatively calm and well behaved .. for Tarantulas
        They are all desert type spiders so are not so subsceptible to humidity although need to be kept warm !!

To start with id probably go for a small juvenille, mainly as its less fiddly to feed small crickets than micro crickets.. but that just my opinion.

Also Avicularia Avicularia the pink toed spider is relatively easy to start with although it needs a higher humidity than the others :

Best of luck anyway and if ive got anything wrong im sure ill be corrected quick enough lol !

Lance

Comment

The G. Aureostriata is a lot less aggressive than the Blondi. i had a blondi years ago and they kick lots of hairs and are very defensive!

Comment

There is usually a healthy supply of G areuostriatas around both online dealers and members of the BTS. Try looking on the BTS board. Layla Mcinnes has bred G areostriata so should have some left

Comment

Cheers Adam, I did see some on Tarantula-shop.com But I'll check the BTS board aswell.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, another species you could look at is Acanthoscurria geniculata The Giant White Knee, I have raised a good many of these from spiderlings with very little difficulty, they are excellent feeders & seem to grow like weeds!!!

Hope this helps

Mike.
                www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Conabeer View Post
                  Hi Mike, another species you could look at is Acanthoscurria geniculata The Giant White Knee, I have raised a good many of these from spiderlings with very little difficulty, they are excellent feeders & seem to grow like weeds!!!

Hope this helps

Mike.
                  Ah Cheers Mike, I think we have a winner. What a stunning looking spider. And the tarantula shop have slings in stock. I may have to order one, watch this space.

Mike

Comment

Mike, you'll find them very forgiving with regards to oisture, I bought my first ones from Linda Bowes & her advice to me was to let them dry out then wet them down again & I've followed that over the last 7 or 8 years with these & managed to successfully breed them about 4 years ago, currently have a male waiting to go with one or as many of my females as he can cope with!!!

Mike.
                    www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Working...
                    X