Selencosmia crassipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selencosmia crassipes

I hadn't seen my S. crassipes since Xmas. It dug itself into its burrow filling up the entrance with soil and I assumed it was moulting or just wanted to be alone (perhaps I'll call it greta). There was no decaying smell so I assumed it was still alive.
    Anyway, this morning it was there sitting outside its burrow and laying silk again.
    This seems a long time for a moult. I've been feeding it well so perhaps it had enough to be getting on with and took some time out.
    Anyone else had this experience?

A little similar - I've had two Phlogiellus baeri slings since the new year, and after a couple of days they duly turned into pet holes (a lot of pet holes, none of which had tiny legs protruding from them). A few days later the crushed crickets I left for them stopped disappearing.
    A couple of days ago I saw 'Holly' on the surface of the substrate, a lot thinner but bigger. No surprises there. It's started taking food again. Still nothing from 'Ivy', though.

Did your crassipes moult? Any noticeable change in size? You hear that's common for well-fed tarantulas to go off food for a while, but it hasn't happened often with my spiders. Only recently with two s/a Brachypelma albopilosum that started eating again a few days later (so not pre-moult).

Comment

It does look a little bigger from when I last saw it. I'm interested to know if it's a male or a female - it looks blackish so perhaps its a female. I may have to wait until it's abit older I guess. Problem is it keeps its moult skins in its burrow!
      It was tiny when I bought it so its definitely grown since then. It's now about 10 cm legspan. It seems to have abit more confidence than my L.klugi which is nice.

I'm just glad its OK and I'll have many nights ahead to watch it!

Comment

My crassipes did exactly the same thing, nothing to worry about. And now that shes freshly moulted and full of energy, she has proceded to construct three turrets and seal up her original burrow entrance!

Mike

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

selenocosmia

My Selenocosmia has done the same thing, only he's still in there! moulted about 2 months ago and hasn't left his burrow, even for food. He was having a little rummage round in there yesterday so I might see him out and about soon.I've asked the Australian Tarantula Association and they say this is normal.
          sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Oh good! That's reassuring. I've heard that when they're fully grown they spend more time outside their burrow which would be nice.

Comment

Most of my Selenocosmia tend to live in their burrows and only show themselves at about 4.00am. Great if you an insomniac but for us mere mortals a pain. But we wouldnt have it any other way. They dont have to entertain us. I often think who is keeping who here. It is worth an early morning visit mind you. ( in my case to get away from the cat's snoring!) to see an adult sitting perched at the entance to their burrow is an experience.
              British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
              The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
              On
              [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

My S.crassipes is out alot now even in early evening which is nice. I have been feeding it crickets according to the rules, but wonder if the size was too big for this ones particular temperament. It seems to prefer smaller prey.

I haven't seen my L.Klugi for a while, but it is eating heartily and grabs the crickets from the front of its burrow. Eventually it will need a new home!

Comment

I agree with Ray, everyone`s T`s on here are not there to entertain us but to be admired for their sheer beauty and fasinaction.Another good point by Ray is that it`s well worth staying up to the wee hour`s and watch our eight legged friend`s.
                  Both my selenocosmia`s very very rarely can be seen,but i know there still there (either that or the crick`s have found an escape route).
                  Well worth staying up though and watching these guy`s in all their glory...

P.Pulcher
                  G.Aureostriata
                  P.Murinus
                  C.Schioedtei x 2
                  C.Cyaneopubescens x 3
                  Cyclosternum.sp
                  A.Geniculata x 2
                  P.Fasciata x 2
                  P.Ornata x 2
                  P.Straita
                  O.Auerotibialis x 3
                  M.Robustum x 3
                  To name just a few....
                  ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS IN LIFE, IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO A WOMEN THAT EVEN A BARGAIN COST`S MONEY

Comment

Yes - I know what you mean. The spiders should be themselves.
                    I note that s.crassipes in the wild makes 2 metre deep burrows! I'm not sure I can completely emulate it's wild habitat when it is fully grown, so it will have to adjust abit.

I used to be arachnophobic, but seeing a spider grow up from spiderling, and realising that it isn't 'out to get me' but is a beautiful and very shy animal trying to survive in a tough world, has really helped. Folklore has alot to answer for.

Comment

Working...
                    X