Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Moult

Recently my Grammostola Rosea moulted for the first time since ownership,

But the moult left the spider with two missing legs on its upper left, I was just wondering if feeding is going to be a problem and how many moults before the leg will be regained?

Thank you.

There are probably other BTS guys who would be able to give a more learned answer, but I believe that humidity is one of the main factors leading to bad moults. If you don't have one already, I'd definitely get a little humidity meter (a few pounds). I find that with a compost (fertilizer free) substrate and small water dish the humidity stays just right. Too dry and moulting problems occur, too wet and mites and all sorts of other nasties breed.

It would I think take several moults to gradually get the legs back, but I'm no expert. If the spider has real trouble moving and striking prey you could always disable the prey so it doesn't have to be so quick. I've even heard of some spiders taking dead prey but I'm not sure about this.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I have humidity meter (which i kept around 70 when the moult occurred)

I'm gonna take the back jumper legs of crickets and place them directly in front of the spider and see how that works out

Comment

Josh
        Spiders will fine with a few missing legs, they will eventully grow back. This may take many years in adult tarantulas a lot quicker for spiderlings and juveniles. There will be small legs on the next molt, eventully getting larger over the next few molts.

I once came accross a large Heterpoda species in Malaysia with only 3 legs, it had caught and was eating a large jungle cocroach! so just 2 leg missing should be no handycap for your tarantula.

Cheers
        Mark

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I woke up this morning and she had webbed up the entrance to her hole, that's lifted my spirits now

Comment

My chile rose molted fine and the tank is quite dry,normal for this species. The usual high humidity level with most Ts makes her unhappy!
            My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
            Ray Gabriel

Comment

Working...
            X