exo terra query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exo terra query

hi, i have what now seems to be a p.fasciata in a 12x12x12 exoterra with a polystyrene back. i have put a heatmat behind this as i have been advised to do.
    my query though is doesnt the poly wall insulate the heat from getting through, and instead throw all the heat out the back?
    also what is the best way to keep humidity right? with the open top i would have thought it wouldnt hold much humidity?
    cheers
    dan

Hi Dan
    I personally use my exo terra for my tree frog but I did have my baby chameleon in there at first and had the same dilemma.
    I would think the same as you, that the heat would bounce straight back off the polystyrene as it does insulate!
    I used to put the heat mat down one side of the tank (Didn't look as tidy but it was up against another tank so you couldn't really see it!) and this provided the one sided heat I needed with a slight temperature gradient.
    With regards the top, I don't block it completely but have stretched some cling film across the mesh to at least keep some of the heat and humidity in.

I've been doing this for several months now and all that have lived in the tank seem happy enough in there, no signs of fungal problems or anything.

Hope this helps?

Jo

Comment

Exo Terrra

Hi, with exo terra the biggest humidity problem is the grille at the top. It allows air circulation but lets out moisture. So the best way round this is to use sphagnum moss. Put some on top of the substrate, this stuff can hold up to 17 times its own weight in water so you will have a regular amount of moisture there. Then I "mist" my tanks twice a day with a garden spray, this provides humidity and also water droplets for the tarantulas to drink off of the glass and polystyrene. In the wild arborials tend to drink water off of leaves and their webs after rain so all you are doing is simulating this. Whenever I mist the tanks I also spray heavily a part of the moss, therefore keeping the humidity up. As for the temperature, bearing in mind the tarantula is an arborial try putting the heat mat under the tank. Warm air rises so if you keep a thermometer about half way up you can monitor the temp easily. Watch the substrate doesn't get too hot though. As for thermometers and hygronometers, Exo Terra do these as well, they cost about £3 each and you can get them from 'The Spider Shop' (see links page on this site). One thing I must warn you about if you want to keep your tank looking good, CRICKETS EAT POLYSTYRENE!!! The little so-and-so's nearly wrecked my tanks so if you want to use them, please put some cricket food in the tank as well. You can buy sphagnum moss from any garden centre. Hope this helps...
      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Yes. Covering your heatmat with polystyrene will stop the heat from entering your tank.

Maybe someone with an exo-terra tank can advise you on the best solution.

My Collection:

Comment

exo terra

hi...well the only solution ive ever cum up with is not to use the polystyrene backin that comes with the tank, yeh it looks nice and all but using a heat mat attached to the back of the tank does prove to be a prob as heat cannot get to tank...only solution ive found is to use cork tiles,which can be stuck with aquatic silicone and easily cut to size, plus there only about 3 -4 mil thick so heat passes through easily...
          im currently using this method in 4 of my tanks with no problems at all, heat stays a good 75 - 80, plus have had no probs with mold...
          well thats the only advice i got mate sorry..works for me though
          ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS IN LIFE, IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN TO A WOMEN THAT EVEN A BARGAIN COST`S MONEY

Comment

Originally posted by Johanna McMullen View Post
            I don't block it completely but have stretched some cling film across the mesh to at least keep some of the heat and humidity in.
            It may sound silly but if you stretch (not too much) some stockings or tights (the finest dernier you have) over two thirds of the top screen it keeps humidity in, the fine weave of the fabric seems to trap moisture and block the majority getting through. Even better, the air circulates as normal through the damp fabric.

Comment

thanks for the replies. i have already got some of the top covered as i have put my b.smithi tank on top and that takes up half of it. the prob with putting the heat mat at the bottom is it doesnt get throught the substrate. it struggled to get through an inch deep substrate.if i take the poly off the back, will the heat mat make it too hot on that wall for the T? i'll try and get hold of some cork tiles and try that out. as for the crickets eating the poly, there not normally in there long enough to enjoy a meal!
              cheers
              dan

Comment

I took the background off both of my Exo Terras as my B. Smithi had found the gap between the top of the baclground and the top of the tank and had started to try and dig through!!!! Once off I liked it so much I took the one out of my G. Roseas tank aswell.

Mike

Comment

looks like i'll have to run the gauntlet and take it out without annoying my p.fasciata!

Comment

Working...
                  X