Separating Breeding Spiders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating Breeding Spiders

hi, can anyone tell me what method they use to remove their males from the females once they have finished mating?

Hi,

I use a large breeding container big enough for both the males and females enclosures.

This gives the male a much better chance of escaping from the female and gives the spiders thier own "time" for mating courtship etc, also if the male is not ready sometimes he will be found with a sperm web the next day.

I have left pairs together for weeks at a time with the males being uneaten, but have also had the females munch the males on the first night.

But using a breeding container increases the chances of mating and multiple matings (which i think some species may require) and minimises the risk of the female attacking the male, as opposed to siting over the females tank and trying to "supervise" the mating.

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray,

So would you suggest a tank twice the size of the T's normal enclosure? For example 24'x12'x10' ?

This make sence as it would be a huge shame to not have a successful mating and loose the male!

Comment

Working...
      X