Lasiodora Parahybana feeding requirements, 6"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lasiodora Parahybana feeding requirements, 6"

I've had this spider a year, it's three years old. It's now 6". I have been feeding it a cricket every three days. Now every two days. How much should I be feeding this spider? And, for its age, is it the right size? I've heard this species grows to 10 inches, just wondering when that will happen . Thanks.
    Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian salmon-pink birdeater, 3 years old)

Nhanda vulpinus
    Acanthoscurria geniculata
    Selenocosmia javanensis (Java Yellow Knee/birdeater)
    Chilean Rose (rescued from Homeplus where it had the run of the roost).

One large cricket every two or three days is sufficient. They are capapble of taking down larger prey at that size, if you wanted to feed it a locust or a roach, but I would still stay with one appropriate sized prey item every two or three days.

Comment

Ah, thanks, on the right track, then. Anyone know about size and age. Mine's three years old and 6". Is that about right?

Nhanda vulpinus

Comment

I am not sure about the size thing. I believe they reach maturity at 5 years; if that is the case, 6" at 3 years sounds reasonable.

Comment

I have a Parahybana myself (4" Juvi) and lt has a ravenous appetite, straight after finishing one locust off it goes in seach of another. From what most other Para owners say, they are the same.
          Just before buying one of these Large T's i did the normal and read up about their requirements, I can't remember what web site it was on, but one said some thing along the lines of
          "eats crickets, locusts, insects etc....the kitchen sink....your mother in law!!!" Sounds about right doesn't it !!??

Comment

The thought puts a big smile on my face from ear to ear but alas we can only dream about the mother inlaw bit lol
            http://www.spidersfromtheweb.co.uk

http://www.spidersfromtheweb.com

A.Geniculata
            B.Boehmi
            B.Smithi
            C.Crawshayi
            H.Lividum
            H.Minax
            H.Schmidti
            L.Parahybana
            O.Aureotibialis
            P.Canceridies
            P.Chordatus
            P.Frasciata
            P.Murinus
            P.Regalis
            T.Blondi

Comment

From what I understand, that list should include fingers, too, so watch out!

Comment

I also added small children, neighbours cats and the odd Old Age Pentioner to the list!
                Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

Comment

A list of food requirements including sacrificial virgins...

Nhanda vulpinus

Comment

I have a long-time captive female. I raised her from the eggsac, and she just turned 8 years old. Since this thread is about feeding, I should mention she hasn't eaten a bite in over 6 months! I know this might alarm a few of you, but it really isn't anything to worry about. Look at her. She's just fine. She'll decide when she's ready to eat.

A few people I know in the US liked this photo, so I'll post it here. Hope you like it, too. :

Thx,
                    Rhys
                    Rhys A. Brigida

Associate Editor, American Tarantula Society Forum Magazine.
                    Fan, member, and friend to the BTS since 1990-ish something or other.
                    If you like the BTS message board, you might enjoy this one as well:
                    http://www.atshq.org

"Nhandu", a piano improvisation and "Opiliones Walk", hip hop for 8 legs. Hear it at: www.myspace.com/rbrigid1

Comment

What a great photo, one of the oldest lifeforms on earth with some of the newest technology...Now thats artistic irony !!!

Comment

She's a beaut! Nice photo!

Comment

Originally posted by rhys brigida View Post
                          A few people I know in the US liked this photo, so I'll post it here. Hope you like it, too. :

What was she doing here? Working from home?? Lol!

Amazing pic!

Comment

Originally posted by Johanna McMullen View Post
                            What was she doing here? Working from home?? Lol!

Amazing pic!

Thanks, Johanna and everyone. Yes, we were working at home that day.
                            Rhys A. Brigida

Associate Editor, American Tarantula Society Forum Magazine.
                            Fan, member, and friend to the BTS since 1990-ish something or other.
                            If you like the BTS message board, you might enjoy this one as well:
                            http://www.atshq.org

"Nhandu", a piano improvisation and "Opiliones Walk", hip hop for 8 legs. Hear it at: www.myspace.com/rbrigid1

Comment

I bet she can manage more words per minute than I can with those legs!!

Comment

Working...
                              X