Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May have to give the hobby up for now

Hello everyone,

I have bad news. I'm afraid I'm having serious thoughts on giving up my small collection of tarantulas. I may come back to the hobby at another point in my life, but as long as I live in somebody else's house, I practically have no freedom and my family often get in the way of looking after my spiders (particulalry when I have to clean them out). My strict dad is not very fond of my spiders and even less so of my crickets. Also, there's a very grumpy male B. smithi I have who is skittish and throws hairs at me like there's no tomorrow. Cleaning him out was a very frustrating task.I admit that negligence and unconfidence on my part whilst cleaning him almost got him hurt. I don't get on well with him. He used to be docile, but now he is becoming hyperactive and aggressive (he's not mature yet, but he is getting close). I bought him as a female but he turned out to be male. I may keep one of my T's and get rid of him and one of my two females.

I want to make sure that my T's get good care taken of them. I only have three, but I don't think I'm competent and confident enought anymore to take care of them all, and some problems in real life have catalysed this.

So I am having serious thoughts about giving up the hobby for now until I move away. Any advice on how I should go about this is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear your news mate! Where do you live by the way? I'm sure there must be someone on here close to you that will either baby sit or buy them off you.

Comment

Shame about the scenario Chris.
      I think if you don't feel confident to carry on, in my opinion its best to go with your gut feeling, this way you will be happier and the T's you have could be relocated and recieve the attention they need.
      It takes a wise and humble man to know his limitations, and not carry on due to pride.
      Good luck in what ever you decide to do

Regards
      Colin

Comment

Glen: I live in south Bristol.

Colin: Yeah, when I first got into the hobby, I was really enthusiatic. Giving them away is not something I want to do, but I think it is for the best, particularly for the spiders. At the moment, this isn't quite the best environment for them. My dad has made it absolutely clear that I'm lucky they're even welcome. Plus I caught him spraying cleaning chemicals around my room (where I keep my T's) without consulting me and there's a growing problem of mould. T's are pretty easy to look after, but because of social pressures I can't cope, that's probably the main reason why I have to give them away. After I give my T's away I will get back into hobby, but I certainly won't be getting back into it in the near future. The thing I'm worried about in selling them is packaging and posting my T's.

Comment

Its probably best to put a list of what your parting with in the classified section mate, with a guide on price!

Comment

Chris, don't forget Mark Pennel lives in Bristol, maybe you could email him or contact him through the forum, he may be able to help you relocate them.
            By the way, you mention the male smithi, what are the other two females you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
              Chris, don't forget Mark Pennel lives in Bristol, maybe you could email him or contact him through the forum, he may be able to help you relocate them.
              By the way, you mention the male smithi, what are the other two females you have?
              Yes indeed I live not to far from you... I would be happy to sit these for you untill you are in a better situation.

Drop me a PM or email.

I was in your situation 20 odd years back, living at home with an arachnophobic mother!.... so know how you feel.

Cheers
              Mark

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                I have an adult female Grammostola rosea and an adult female Brachypelma albopilosum.

I was originally going to hold onto the smithi until it matures and loan it to people, but now I'm starting think he should go bye-bye soon. His hair kicking sprees makes it difficult even to move objects around his tank. I have quite sensitive skin, and the hairs make my skin really itchy and sore.

Comment

Working...
                X