Egg Sac Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Sac Question

I have female G.Rosea that I mated to male lent by a BTS member in January. Wednesday night she made and egg sac and then looked to be guarding it. On Thursday morning she had eaten it!

Can anyone offer any reasons why she would lay and eggsac and then simply eat it? Is this a common thing to happen?

Cheers

Jay.
    Everyones an Expert! "Ex" is a has been - "spurt" is a strong gush of water! You decide............................

In the wild egg-sacs are constructed and tended within a secure burrow/retreat (which is often plugged with earth).

Grammostola rosea in captivity don't usually burrow, so I suspect your one made it out in the open (i.e. outside a secure burrow or retreat). Any slight disturbance may have caused her to eat it... (just bad luck really).

Richard

Comment

Or if You want - another position:
      Usually, many species for making a fertile sac, Grammostola rosea including, need for a rest period (hibernation).
      I believe Yours doesn't had it? If so, it is highly possible that the sac was infertile - why not the another one possible reason?
      I can also propose several other... if needed...
      All the best,
      Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Working...
      X