Latin Pronunciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latin Pronunciation

Hi to all, does anyone have a pronunciation guide for the myriad of latin names I seem to be coming across?

Just thought it would be a good reference point for one and all alike?

Eg, Brachpelma Is it Braki-pelma or Brashy-pelma?

If this sounds silly then forgive me, these are the things that keep me awake at night lol...
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Latin Pronunciation

Hi Robert

I'm with you on this, it would be good to have some guidance on pronunciation

Barbara

Comment

This is what I use. http://atshq.org/articles/beechwp1.html

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Even Latin scholars disagree [so any guide is questionable] and scientific names [people incorrectly refer to them as "Latin names"] are composed of other languages, especially Greek, geographic names, people names (honorifics), etc. Add to that the different accents we all have (e.g., as an American, my pronunciations will automatically sound different than Brits), and it is only important that people understand what you are saying. When it doubt, accent the penultimate (second-to-last) syllable and pronounce -i suffixes as -ee (not -eye) and -ae suffixes, such as in family and subfamily names as -ee, not -ay.

Brah-kee-PELL-muh

Kind regards, Michael
        Last edited by Michael Jacobi; 25-03-07, 03:49 PM.
        MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
        -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
        -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
        | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
        -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Comment

After having to suffer Latin for five years at school, there are no real hard and fast rules for pronunciation, as there weren't in roman times due to dilect.
          The main guidelines are...(if i remember correctly...and there will be some disagreement here)

The language is phonetic so just read as it sounds. The ancient Romans didn't inherit their spellings from any earlier language, so what you read is what you say.
          there are a few pointers to follow or you get tounge tied with some words.

treat 'x' as 2 letter k's
          treat ph th ch as single letters (within a word...if starting the word sound them as written usually)
          divide the word in to syllables and begin each with a consonant (i.e. an - nus not ann - us )

there are other specific rules like not breaking up double letters such as PR TR QU CL BR etc etc but thats not really relevant here as we're not writing it.

And the main pointer i can give, as i did when at school, GUESS...you won't go far wrong

Comment

does anyone in the world really know the correct pronounciation? lol
            The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

They may think they do, but as we have got no common frame of reference, i.e. a Roman, then not in my opinion. In fact i had three seperate Latin teachers at school and they all had a differing dialect.
              Its all best guess, but everyones right.

Comment

The pronunication of the names isnt all that difficult when you get the hang of it. Start off with reading out the word as you see it and break it down to make it easier. There will be variations to pronounce with peoples accents but as long we get the jist of it it doesnt have to be spot on. A bit like one says (tomayto the other tomato). Aphonopelma for example is easy to pronounce if you split it in 2 sylabuls

Comment

pronunciation

I've always pronounced the 'ch' in Brachypelma like in the word loch (as in Loch Lomond) and as in the Hebrew letter Cheth. If I've got this wrong please let me know.
                  sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

you're correct, the CH is sounded like a K. Its normally only when there's a U after the CH that you pronounce it like you would in CHurch. again, as i said earlier, there's loads more Grammar rules when you get deeper into this language but not normally relevent in basic pronunciation.

Comment

Some excellent responses, the reason I was asking this in particular is I know a chap who pronunces Avicularia "Avic-yoo-lur" whereas I would pronounce it "Avic-you-lary-a".

I say tomato you say tomayto... It's the small things eh?
                      All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Farmer View Post
                        Some excellent responses, the reason I was asking this in particular is I know a chap who pronunces Avicularia "Avic-yoo-lur" whereas I would pronounce it "Avic-you-lary-a".

I say tomato you say tomayto... It's the small things eh?
                        yeh I pronounce it "Avic-you-lary-a" as well or maybe "Avic-you-lairy-a"
                        The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

A vick oo lair ree ah

Brack ee pell mah

Pokey low ther rear ( i believe it should be PEE CEE LOW THER REAR technically )

Ter rino kill us
                          And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Blo de nor ah!

As long as your close, im sure most people would know what your on about. Reading this reminds of my French classes at school! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Richardson View Post
                              A vick oo lair ree ah

Brack ee pell mah

Pokey low ther rear ( i believe it should be PEE CEE LOW THER REAR technically )

Ter rino kill us
                              uh-vick-you-LAIR-ee-uh

brahk-kee-PELL-muh

pee-sill-uh-THUR-ee-uh

tear-in-oh-KILL-uhs

duhs-int-ree-lee-mat-tuhr-THO juhst-doant-yuz-KAH-mihn-naymz
                              Last edited by Michael Jacobi; 28-03-07, 01:45 AM.
                              MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
                              -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
                              -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
                              | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
                              -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Comment

Working...
                              X