idea to solve T lineage problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idea to solve T lineage problems

my girlfriend had a neat idea that could help with some of the lineage and cross breeding problems. she thought it would be good to start doing a sort-of "pedigree" type system, like what dogs and cats have.

this could help to preserve pure lines of breeding and sort out some of the problems of people being ripped-off with hybids.

what does everyone else think??

thanks

lee smith
    Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
    Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
    P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Lee great idea in principle but i see a few problems!

1. Who would be the Governing body?
    2. Wow would you collate the required data?
    3. Getting support from importers and distributors etc!

Glen

Comment

Would this also mean that you had to apply for a pedigree or "kennel Club" paperwork to buy and sell your specimens. it's quite expensive with 8 or 10 puppies, how about with 200 slings.
      Great idea in principle, and yes it would slow down the selling of falsly named species etc. But if everybody bought from established dealers then the tin pot back street petshops who have a sign in their window saying "BIG TERANCHULA 4 SALE -- 70 QUID" would go out of business and we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Comment

i was thinking that if it was done properly and cheaply(maybe freely) by groups such as here and the top shops and breeders it would help with sorting some of the problems out. it wouldnt need to be a highly official thing like the "kennel club" type pedigree, as most of the T hobbyists and societys are quite good at self regulation.

i was thinking it would be good to have paperwork saying things like;

date collected from the wild (and maybee by who)
        date bred (if bred in captivity) (and by who), date eggsack layed/ hatched amount from sack,
        parentage history,

as we all tend to be self regulateing it would help the hobby as a whole being able to trace our T's historys.
        Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
        Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
        P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

Hi
          Just like to point out this has been a running debate for the last 10 years, we have discussed this around the BTS committee table many many times.

Just recently it surfaced again with a new twist, this is being worked on by a number of people...

Its a great idea, but it will be only as good as the people who use it.

I think Mr Hale might have a few words on this debate later today.

Perhaps with discussion it can be resloved to a working plan.

Cheers
          Mark

------------------------------------------------------
          Serious Ink tattoo studio -
          Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Great idea in principle, but with many species the only way to sort them out would be to start again from fresh wild caught specimens. Brachypelma is a prime example. There is great difficulty in differentiating males of different species and so accidental crossbreeding can occur.

Genera like Avicularia are also a problem area, because as far as I'm aware no one currently has the expertise or the resources to correctly identify what's in the hobby at the moment, so again wild caught correctly identified specimens (compared against whatever original types that are still available) would have to be utilised.

The current difficulties with Poecilotheria smithi are also a case in point. When they were available, no one wanted them, no one bred them (I'm not sure if it was because they were drab spiders and there was no demand for them, or whether they were very difficult to breed), and so now they're almost gone from the hobby entirely. Because they're so 'rare' then it opens up the doors for scammers, and unfortunately you're always going to get this with the latest highly priced spider, whatever it may be, so any system would have to be protected from abuse.

Also many exporters can't or won't say where they collected specimens, because of the obvious problem with others going there and decimating their supply, so again that's a potential problem.

Another thing is that I don't fancy printing 1800 pedigree sheets out if I ever get a Lasiodora parahybana sac

My Collection:

Comment

It already exists and has done for several years - the BTS National Collection Scheme. Just very few people have/had the inclination to support it
              Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gallon View Post
                It already exists and has done for several years - the BTS National Collection Scheme. Just very few people have/had the inclination to support it
                Richard
                I never knew anything about that Richard It's certainly something I and many others I can think of would wholeheartedly support.

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                X