Aphonopelma or Brachypelma???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphonopelma or Brachypelma???

Hello! It's been a while since I was last here as I had to sell most of my collection due to moving house, but now i'm settled I officially got back into the hobby today!

Amongst some of the spiders I bought was Aphonopelma bicolouratum

Thing is, A. bicolouratum and Brachypelma boehmei are very similar in appearance, does anyone know what the distinguishing features are between these two species? My quest to have accurate labels strikes again!
    Last edited by Richard Groves; 01-04-07, 10:38 AM.

This won't help one bit and sorry for a useless post , but i'd buy that no matter what species it was !!

What a nice spider

Comment

Whilst I'm not convinced that bicoloratum is an Aphonopela it surely isn't a Brachy; true [ hobby] boehmi looks nothing like it.

Am I alone in thinking that half the Brachys are actually Aphonopelmas or similar ? Stuart ??

Mark.

Comment

Well, to me it looks just like mine bicoloratum and less like my friends boehmei

Last edited by Marko Sajovic; 01-04-07, 07:39 AM.
        http://www.facebook.com/marko.sajovic

Comment

Originally posted by Coolsox2003uk View Post
          Hello! It's been a while since I was last here as I had to sell most of my collection due to moving house, but now i'm settled I officially got back into the hobby today!

Amongst some of the spiders I bought was Aphonopelma bicolouratum

Thing is, A. bicolouratum and Brachypelma boehmei are very similar in appearance, does anyone know what the distinguishing features are between these two species? My quest to have accurate labels strikes again!
          Hi

Looks like B, boehmei to me, carapace is not the right shape and there strong flame markings on patella, these are not present on A,bicoloratum

Cheers
          Mark

------------------------------------------------------
          Serious Ink tattoo studio -
          Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark, It was the carapace that made me have second thoughts as to the identity of my spider.

I took some close up pictures of the potella and carapace, hope they are of some help!

Carapace:

Patella:

I must admit, I was always under the impresiion that Aphonopelma are generally quite highly strung? I know it can vary with individual specimens and you certainly cannot use it to ID a spider, but mine is quite docile. It kicks like mad but has not once raised its legs at me!

Comment

B,boehmei

Cheers
              Mark

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Nice CU pictures there you must have quite gd camera.
                Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pennell View Post
                  B,boehmei

Cheers
                  Mark
                  100% with you there Mark, the leg build is lso different with A.bicoloratum, when you get to compare the 2 it is pretty obvious, one day I'll learn how to sort my pics out so that I can post on here!
                  www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Hello Richard!

Look the spider and try to realise does the femur III is a bit looking incrassated comparing to the others?
                    Looking so in the pic to add more for the Brachypelma.
                    It is in fact only the red shade is close to the same of A. bicoloratum. In all other the spider is looking like ordinary B. boehmei indeed and than the femur III should be incrassate (but not so strong as in Megaphobema spp.).
                    All the best,
                    Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Well, my pretty little lady has got herself a new coat!

I think there is now no question that she is a Brachypelma

What a transformation!

Comment

That's what I'll be looking at in about 1yrs time!

Beautifal T
                        All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Yep definitely B.bohemei and a stunning one at that.

Regardless of Brachy or Aphonopelma, you have got a good'un

Comment

Originally posted by Marko Sajovic View Post
                            Well, to me it looks just like mine bicoloratum and less like my friends boehmei

http://www.thebts.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=308
                            hi if you go to YouTube and put in A. bicolouratum your see if this is one.
                            to me it looks very much a.bicolouratum .
                            cheers.
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Lynes View Post
                              Whilst I'm not convinced that bicoloratum is an Aphonopela it surely isn't a Brachy; true [ hobby] boehmi looks nothing like it.

Am I alone in thinking that half the Brachys are actually Aphonopelmas or similar ? Stuart ??

Mark.
                              Funny, I did mention on another forum that brachys and Aphos look similar, and it always amazes me how the gurus seperate such genera. Another example is Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus-theyre both arboreal and both have those chevron markings on their feet(certainly P.subfusca anyway)
                              And didnt Brchyplema once belong in Euathlus?
                              My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                              Ray Gabriel

Comment

Working...
                              X