New Cobalt ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Cobalt ...

I purchased this Cobalt blue today purely on impulse as I had never seen one quite as dark as this. Is this normal? The shop where selling it as 'Burma blue' rather that Cobalt blue.

Below are pictures of my other CB Blue for comparison.

Damn thats one nice looking T!

I really would like a CB, but I hear there vicious horrible things!

Kain

Comment

There are two colour forms of H.lividum. Looks like you've got a dark colour form.
      Visit our work in progress website here:
      http://www.tarantulabay.co.uk/
      http://tarantulabay.freephpbbforum.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Kain Prestwood View Post
        Damn thats one nice looking T!

I really would like a CB, but I hear there vicious horrible things!

Kain
        Don't you already have a P. Murinus? I'd go as far to say the Baboon would be more of a handful than H Lividum...

Feeding my P Murinus is like watching a Tazmanian Devil rip through an express lane in a supermarket whereas the H Lividum seems more content to just run about (usually away from the food!).

If you don't have a P Murinus then ignore this lol, and either way Rich she looks purty.
        All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

No I have a P pederseni, however that thing eats like tornadoes eat trailers in trailer parks.

Fed it tonight and it was like lightning lol.

Kain

Comment

Very nice looking spider, and what a great addition to any collection!
            H Lividum, I believe, does have a dark and light colour phase, and within these colour phases the amount of "Blue" on them is varied in intensity too.

It seems that the pet shop has assumed that because the species comes from burma and thailand they should designate it a burma blue, this, to me, fortifies the necessity for shops to use scientific names for spiders as far too many species are sold as others.
            As i said in another thread, i've seen too many pet shops with the sign in the window.
            "BIG TERANCHULA 4 SALE £70"
            and just to push the sale and identify the species
            "same as you've seen wiv that spider bloke on the telly".

Comment

Kain,

Cobalts are extremeley aggressive, and very, very fast but I must admit, if you want to gain experience with an old world spider this would be the one I would recommend.

The only downside to this species is you only get to see it for the first week or so after you have purchased it. After that it digs itself an impressive burrow and all you ever get to see is a webbed up hole.

Prestwood petzone currently have one left for £35 (Burma Blue) and it appears to be an adult female.

Comment

Working...
              X