Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

Hi all

Ive joined this forum because I know very little about these beautiful creatures and am taking care of my daughters.

My reason for joining is that my daughter has got a Chilean rose which she has had for a year now. But since September last year it hasn't eaten and has only just, in the last 6 weeks, started webbing. It also hasn't shed since she has had it. Could anyone please shed some light on what the possible reasons might be so we can try and do something about it.

Many thanks
    B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
    C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
    L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
    P. irminia - P. murinus

Originally posted by Helen Roberts View Post
    Hi all

Ive joined this forum because I know very little about these beautiful creatures and am taking care of my daughters.

My reason for joining is that my daughter has got a Chilean rose which she has had for a year now. But since September last year it hasn't eaten and has only just, in the last 6 weeks, started webbing. It also hasn't shed since she has had it. Could anyone please shed some light on what the possible reasons might be so we can try and do something about it.

Many thanks
    Helen
    Welcome to the forum, OK right Chilean rose's can at best funny feeders, they will go for long periods of time without feeding, and then eat like there is no tommorow.

As long as the abdomen remains plump and round with no obvious wrinkles to it, all should be fine.

Make sure water is alway available, as they may not feed but will still need a drink.

"just started Silking!"

You may also find that it will produce an egg sac, they often produce these even without mating. If its wild caught and I fully expect it is. It may produce a fertile egg sac.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

If it produces an egg sac my daughter will be well surprised as she is under the assumption that it's a male lol, and yes it's wild caught. Are they in the habit of covering their silk as my daughter says this one has done that. It's looking healthy enough so I'll keep an eye on him/her.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I know next to nothing about looking after Tarantulas and I have 5 in my care, 3 spiderlings (1 Haitian Brown, 1 Toga Starburst and 1 Orange Leg), 1 sub-adult (the Chilean) and 1 adult (Salmon Pink). Sorry I don't know the latin names for them lol
      P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

This is what i managed to find out about your spiders, and their scientific names.

Haitian brown = Phormictopus cancerides
        Togo starburst = Heteroscodra maculata
        Orange leg tarantula =Aphonopelma bicoloratum
        the Chilean = Grammostola rosea
        Salmon Pink = Lasiodora parahybana

Greets
        Robin

Last edited by Robin Johannessen; 07-04-07, 04:13 PM.
        Everything is useless
        Nothing works at all
        Nothing ever matters
        Welcome to the fall

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Johannessen View Post
          Salmon Pink = Lasiodora parhybana
          Sorry to be so pedantic Robin, can i just correct spelling

Lasiodora PARAHYBANA

Just for info, Old guys like me have also come across Brachypelma boehmei described and sold as being an Orange Leg T.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
            Sorry to be so pedantic Robin, can i just correct spelling

Lasiodora PARAHYBANA
            I`m sorry

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
            Just for info, Old guys like me have also come across Brachypelma boehmei described and sold as being an Orange Leg T.
            That is the reason I don`t like common names
            Last edited by Robin Johannessen; 07-04-07, 04:14 PM.
            Everything is useless
            Nothing works at all
            Nothing ever matters
            Welcome to the fall

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Johannessen View Post
              I`m sorry

That is the reason I don`t like common names
              DITTO!! its amazing that you know precisely what you're getting when you use an obscure dead language eh

Comment

Thanks for the latin names for our spiders, I guess I'll get to learn them one day lol.

I was never one for 8 legged creatures until I agreed to look after my daughters and now I'm quite used to them, and I'll miss them when she eventually takes them back. I may just have to start my own collection then to go along side my scorpions.

I've passed on your information to her Mark and apparently the wild-caught one where she works is going through a similar stage. She has expressed concern also that the abdomen is looking smaller than it was and that it's not as aggressive as it once was. She is just concerned that it isn't doing as well as it should and may die before reaching adulthood, and she would like to do everything possible to ensure its survival
                P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

Working...
                X