Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little understanding and education can overcome fear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little understanding and education can overcome fear...

I'm currently enjoying a gloriously sunny Bank Holiday weekend up here in West Wales with my parents.

I was lucky enough to get a chance to go and visit Lee at thespidershop in Cardigan on Saturday and my mother volunteered to come with me to give me directions.

Now my mother HATES spiders, and of course stated that she would not come in with me and instead went shopping.
    What she didn't know as I was actually 'acquiring more' to bring home to stay the night at hers! lmao!

Now you can imagine th reaction when I came out with a box of new additions!!

Now this is what makes me laugh! And I think it may be the case with a lot of people?!

I asked her if she wanted to have a look at them and she was reluctant but said ok.

As soon as she saw them she completely changed her tune. Now she obviously doesn't love them in the way I do but she certainly isn't anywhere near as stressed by them as she was at the thought of them before. She was quite surprised at what they looked like, even the slings, and she wasn't phased by the adult as I thought she would be.

I think this is a good thing, I find that the main reason people fear things is because they don't understand them.

This, to me, is a case in point!

I can say the same for just about anyone who has seen my collection.

The "You'll never get me in the same room as those THINGS" changes once they see them close up.

And the fact the B Vagans is a sweetheart helps no end!

They still all prefer my Mantids right enough
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

my friends like that

at first she made me keep my bedroom door shut if she came round but gradually she came round, now she will even let me hold my t in front of her she says she still makes her cringe but maybe one day she'll pluck up the courage to hold her.

Comment

I was very much like that also, hated anything with more than 4 legs lol. But since having my daughters Ts in the house I am much more comfortable with them and even feed them for her. I even went as far as moving her new addition, the Heteroscodra maculata (excuse the spelling), into his new home the other day, although I wouldnt remove all the packaging that dropped into the new tank. My daughter was so proud of me for attempting tho.
        B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
        C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
        L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
        P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

Working...
        X