Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you found ..

.. to be your most agressive spider ?

After reading many posts on here about agressive spiders i got to wondering how other compare to mine.

Without a doubt mine is my Pterinochilus sp. "Usambara orange baboon", you only have to go near the tank and Bang!! it's there in full threat posture, whereas my H. lividum (cobalt blue), C. crawshayi (king baboon) rarely are seen outside thier burrows and when they are they will scuttle off down the hole if disturbed.
    Dave

I have to agree with you Dave

My orange baboon is a psycho and gets my heart pumping every time i tend to his tank !

Comment

I have a P, murinus sling (Approx 2cm) and he doesn't give two hoots about what's going on outside his tank! I can even rummage around slightly in the tub he's in to get out food remains and anything looking like it's festering and he doesn't bat an eyelid (Even though they don't have them - maybe that's why!? lol)

I was frightened of him when he arrived but he was understandably jittery after being in the Post the last 24 hours! He jumped at the light when I opened the lid but he's settled in nicely since.

I get the feeling this may be the calm before the storm though!

Trying to think but out of my collection of 29 (At present - mostly slings) I haven't any that have offered a threat posture even when moved around with forceps etc.

Lucky so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Ashby View Post
        I have to agree with you Dave

My orange baboon is a psycho and gets my heart pumping every time i tend to his tank !

If you want to get your heart pumping try sitting in the chair in the bug room and watching as this little demon runs under the door into the bedroom hallway !!!!!!!!!

Only had one escapee so far (touch wood) but it just had to be the orange baboon - luckily recaught in the bathroom.
        Dave

Comment

Hi. I have totlly different experience with my murinus. Most of the time she is hidden inside her silk retreat. When outside she is usually slow and rather retreat than strike.
          I don't remember when I last saw my crawshayi or H.albostriatum outside.
          Then I also have female maculata that is also very skitish. Disturbed P.ornata shows her threat position but rarely strikes.
          So who is the winner? The spider that is easily disturbed, and strikes every time even at smallest drop of water is my Cyriopagophus sp. blue. Long legs, big fangs... I wouldn't want to meet her in close.
          http://www.facebook.com/marko.sajovic

Comment

Lampropelma sp "Borneo Orange Fringe" is the most evil one i have, throws a threat pose when you open the container.

My P.murinus isn't that bad, prefers to run away when threatened. Only really does a threat pose if she's backed into a corner.
            And he piled upon the whale's white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it.

Comment

Out of my 7 I'd say the P Murinus is the one to watch. soooooooo fast! Although saying that, when I was showing my L Parahybana to a friend it managed to run up my arm inside my T shirt... got her out ok, (had t remove said item of clothing, she was clinging on for dear life!) was an interesting experience...
              All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Robert i would have died!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Feasey View Post
                  Robert i would have died!
                  I just froze, didn't want to risk squashing her...
                  All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

You would have heard me scream in Dunstable lol.
                    spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

my H.Lividum is actually quite physco, she will turn and run down her burrow then spin around and all you can see is he fangs coming up
                      The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

aggressive spiders

I have only had two spiders go for me, One was a juvenile H maculata who I disturbed whilst trying to find her and re-house her after a moult and she ran up her bark and bit me on the thumbnail, the other was a E vulpinus pregnant female who had only recently got off a plane (I presume it was) from Chile and tried to bite me through her pot. All I can say is that I have Haplopelmas (lividium & schmidti), and two types of Pterinochilus (red and UMV) and 7 Poecilothreia and never a raised fang from any of them. I have only been "attacked" when the one at fault was the one I see in the mirror.
                        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Working...
                        X