Little excavator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little excavator

I got up this morning to find my tiny G. aureo has been digging away like a little jcb lol. His burrow would put a rabbit to shame. It goes down and half way around his little tub all the way to the bottom. It was only about half an inch deep before I went to bed last night.

I knew this species could dig some but didnt expect a whole new set of digs in such a short time. I wish I had known as I would have stayed up to watch.

Both G. aureo and B. emilia are eating well (2 mealworms and 2 crickets respectively) so I'm going to get some pinhead crickets for G. aureo at the end of the week. Should I kill them to start with or feed them live?

Still no sign of the B. vagans . It hasnt eaten in a few days now and doesnt seem to venture out of its hide. I will leave it alone for now and wait and see.

Elaine
    ps. the B emilia is quicker than expected lol.

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

I have never killed cricks to feed my Ts, even the tiny slings.(How big is your aureo) I think theyre less likely to eat them if they dont move as they hunt by feel. And my little albops would eat crix that were a bit bigger than himself, and hes a growing lad now!
    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
    Ray Gabriel

Comment

I'm still surprised by how much slings can dig. Flip the light off when it's standing on a smooth, unbroken surface, then flip it on again and it looks like someone told it there was gold in them thar hills.

Sometimes I kill crickets if I'm worried they're a little too large. I haven't had many problems with slings refusing them. I leave the dead cricket in at night and it's usually taken overnight. If not, I take it out and try a day or two later.
      Last edited by Warren Beattie; 24-04-07, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Hi Larry
        The G. aureo is only about 1.5 - 1.75cm little. It has quite an appetite for such a little guy. Should I try with the pinhead crickets? The micro mealworms are longer than he is but he carries them around until they are all munched. He has 2 every second day. Is that enough or too much?

Both are doing well so far

Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Warren View Post
          I'm still surprised by how much slings can dig. Flip the light off when it's standing on a smooth, unbroken surface, then flip it on again and it looks like someone told it there was gold in them thar hills.

Sometimes I kill crickets if I'm worried they're a little too large. I haven't had many problems with slings refusing them. I leave the dead cricket in at night and it's usually taken overnight. If not, I take it out and try a day or two later.

Thanks Warren. I will get some pinhead crickets and see what size they are before deciding whether to kill them or not.

I just noticed that my B. vagans has a couple of burrow entrances and has filled the hide. They are such amazing little critters

Elaine

Comment

Good to here all your taratnulas are doing so well, well done you. I wouldnt worry about your B. vagans not eating, its not uncommon for them to stop for a while. Quite a few of mine have...including B.boehmei, B.vagans and a few others...so dont worry they tend to go though speels of not eating and then suddenly start again.
            Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Carpenter View Post
              Good to here all your taratnulas are doing so well, well done you. I wouldnt worry about your B. vagans not eating, its not uncommon for them to stop for a while. Quite a few of mine have...including B.boehmei, B.vagans and a few others...so dont worry they tend to go though speels of not eating and then suddenly start again.
              Dan.

Thanks Dan

That has put my mind at rest. I will keep an eye on the B. vagans though but try not to disturb him/her.

The little un's are doing better than I hoped so I'm more relaxed with them now but still keep checking (down to about evry 10 minutes now) they are ok. Its a bit scary with them being so small, especially the G. aureo but hey, if he can dig like that he aint doing bad lol.

I'm off to the shop in Edinburgh at the end of the week for more crickets and stuff so I better not take too much money. They had a few nice T's when I was there last week. So tempting. I think I've caught the Johanna bug

Elaine

Comment

Hehehehe! For most girls it's handbags and shoes! For me it's Spiders and Motorbikes! lmao!

I have had to make a conscious decision to stop buying now as I have to start getting my house ready to sell and I won't have time to look after many more! Saving my last few gaps for some special spiders!

Comment

Morning Johanna
                  Nope I'm definitely not a handbag and shoes person either. I am a bike nut though. I have had bikes for most of my life (mosty suzuki's) but just gave them up a couple of years ago when my hubby was killed riding his.
                  I do have a few animals here though, 2 large dogs, 6 parrots, 1 ferret and now my newest recruits the T's.
                  I can definitely see the T collection growing though lol.

Elaine

Comment

Working...
                  X