Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

He has turned into a true predator? Why? Am I feeding him enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He has turned into a true predator? Why? Am I feeding him enough?

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone could offer some advice on this.

My Mexican Red Knee of approx 9-12 months of age has molted for the first time with me. This was about 2 months ago. Prior to this he was very docile - I mean for about 6 months, and I could drop crickets in and he would take his time and maybe eat them if he wanted but no rush.
    Now I just have to drop one in and he pounces! I nearly jumped out of my skin when he first did it as was not expected!!! I am feeding him approx 3 crickets a week - should I be feeding him more than this for a while after molting- is that why he is pouncing on his food now or is it just because he has grown and feels like 'the man!'!!??? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

( also I know before when I posted a lot of people thought he could be a she - well the bit I needed on the molt was the only bit that did not come off in tact so I am still none the wiser!!

Many Thanks!

Many spiders (especially Brachy's as far as I know) undergoe personality changes after a moult, this seems to be a classic example.

I've heard reports of B Vagans (Mexican Red Rump) being the most docile and alluring T, the ultimate hand pet if you will, then post moult was attacking anything that moved!

All part and parcel of the Theraphosid life I guess?
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

I know what you mean. Both my Brachys are pouncers, In fact the smaller one, a B.auratum leaps on anything (crickets, water, cork bark????) I've got a little B smithi on the way as well now, I'm a glutton for punishment!
      sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

I would guess its the end of the fast famine cycle for your little one, they tend to eat less and more slowly close to a moult and then pack it away after a moult for a week or so, and then gradually slow back down. Depending on its size it might also be gaining its adult temperament and be settling down in its home fully now, moults seem to make them feel more at home somehow or it seems that way to me.

Comment

My experience with red knees is they have all been voracious feeders (exept pre-moult of course). I've raised both sexes and they do like to feed it's only as the males mature have I found their appetite waining. Hope this help,

Cheers Mike.
          We are judged not by our words but by our actions.

Comment

Thank you for your replies - Great to learn something new in this interesting world of tarantula ownership! I am still amazed of the change in him but hope he is happier!!!
            Many Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X