Baldy Spid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldy Spid

I noticed that my Curly Hair Spiderling has gone a bit bald on his abodmen. He's eating and spinning webs and moving about okay. Is this normal?

I don't handle him and he's not been in any fights to my knowledge.

Any ideas?

Ben

My recently moulted L, parahybana had an almost totally bald abdomen until it moulted yesterday - I put that down to when I had it in the post, stressful transit.

It's not always down to active flicking of hairs, sometimes they line their burrows/hides with the hairs too.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can't see any indicators of stress.

Where is it kept? What kind of temp/lighting are you allowing into the pot? Bright light can stress them out and a lot of banging and loud noises (Vibration) will also stress them out.

Some things to consider but I would be more worried if you see it happen again after a moult but a little patch is not necessarily a lot to worry about (If it's got a totally bald bum on a regular basis, then I'd be likely to worry!)

Comment

Dont worry Ben it is perfectly normal for some species to lose a little hair,
      They tend to rub their abdomen as a defence mechanism. It might be that a cricket startled it or even when you opened the lid.

Its nothing at all to worry about and it will regain it after the next moult.

Ray
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Spider Living

Where is it kept?
        It's kept in a tank in my kitchen though there's no vibration problems from the washing machine (as it's not in the kitchen). The worst it gets is me cooking.

What kind of temp/lighting are you allowing into the pot?
        There is no specific lighting. Just ambiant lighting from the room (which is off in the evenings). It's got a plant pot to hide in and it can hide under it's bark.

The temperature is via a heat matt.

Could it be some sort of infection or stress from mites? I've only ever seen one mite? Or could the tank be too moist? I spray it once a week?

Kind Regards,
        Ben

Comment

I really would not worry bout the bald patch but curlys like it on the dryer side so you might want to reduce your spraying a little.

Comment

Bald Spider Video...

Not too sure if this will work or not...

I've put a vid of him on YOUTUBE...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrqGaEdcvtY"]YouTube - Baldspid2[/ame]
            Last edited by benmaffin; 07-05-07, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Hi!
              I think you should change his sustrate to peat instead of gravel. This will allow him to dig, and make it a much happier T
              I don`t think you need the additional heat source, as long the temperature in you kitchen is between 18C(65F) and 27C(80F).

Good luck!

Regards
              Robin
              Everything is useless
              Nothing works at all
              Nothing ever matters
              Welcome to the fall

Comment

I think, from the look on the video, it's actually vermiculite that it's on Robin.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                  I think, from the look on the video, it's actually vermiculite that it's on Robin.

ohh, I`m sorry
                  Anyway, I would have change to a least a mix of peat and vermiculite.
                  Last edited by Robin Johannessen; 09-05-07, 03:21 PM.
                  Everything is useless
                  Nothing works at all
                  Nothing ever matters
                  Welcome to the fall

Comment

Definitely, Peat and vermiculite mixture is personally my favorite.

Comment

Benmaffin, your spiderling-blogs were great, I have to say thank you. I wanted to keep spiders for more than a decade now, but coming accross your spiderling-blogs months ago made me start my research and eventual 'delve'.

Comment

Working...
                      X