No announcement yet.

Substrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does any1 know if G. rosea actually make burrows? I can't make any assupmtions for it as mine is on the wrong substrate for it a problem I hope to rectify soon but it still seems to be attempting to.
    "If you play with fire you'll get burned". Well I keep tarantulas so does that mean I'm going to get bitten even if I'm ultra-super-careful?

Short Answer: Yes (I have)(twice!!)(off a G.Rosea!!)

Comment

Spiders, with some exceptions, won't moult untill the conditions are "right for the act"
      At 2-3 cm i would have expected a moult before now, i would definitley get it on some different substrate, then see how things go from there with trying to feed etc when it's settled down after a few days.
      G. rosea are unpredictable at best when it comes to moulting and feeding so a little more patience when you've got the cage sorted might be needed.
      Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Heaton View Post
        Does any1 know if G. rosea actually make burrows?
        Yes, they do, if given enough substrate.

Comment

Just me tuppnce worth

Coir = coconut husk actually feels and acts like rainforest dirt ......been there felt that.

NO SPECIES of theraphosid spider is found on layers of vermiculite, so I dont use it because it is not natural for any spider.

mixed with peat seems good, but when coir is avalaible why destroy the peat bogs?

Ray

Comment

Tuppence worth noted Ray, there were another two threads where i posted the info quoted below.

"I use a brand called Moorland Gold (which used to be stocked up till recently by my local wilkos, now i have to get it from a local garden centre at £2.50 (45ltrs) when they have it !)
            You can also order it online from Tamar Organics, but the delivery charge is a killer, working out to over a tenner for 45 litres

This is actually obtained from the filtering of water in west Yorkshire before it enters the drinking system. Also due to natural erosion from the peat moors large quantities of peat, silt and leaf mould also build up in reservoirs, this has been found to be detramental to the aquatic life so the reserviors are dredged out and the compost packaged up.

I know it's still technically peat, and i appreciate your valid point, but at the end of the day, it's not directly harvested. i also noted somewhere that a certain amount from the sale of this product, and others like it, is donated to the environmental fund that preserves the original habitat.

Failing being able to obtain this i have used a john innes compost that has peat substitute in it, there are a few available (can't remember which i had) you have to check for impregnated pestacides though."

Regards

Colin

Comment

My daughter has her Rosie on a mixture of very fine sand and wood chippings and he seems happy enough on it, I tend to use a mixture of peat/vermiculite (more peat than vermiculite) and again I've not had any problems.
              B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
              C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
              L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
              P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

T has been wandering the cage today. I opened the lid to clean out some dead crickets and the thing snapped at me
                "If you play with fire you'll get burned". Well I keep tarantulas so does that mean I'm going to get bitten even if I'm ultra-super-careful?

Comment

T has just decapitated a cricket.

Comment

and today mutilated 1 more

Comment

I'm happy to report that substrate has been successfully changed and my T now seems happy.

Comment

after all this confusion at last T is moulting. sadly but I can't post pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Heaton View Post
                          I'm also worried about wether wood chips are the best substrate for a G. rosea to moult on as it's been nearly a year since it's last one.
                          well G. rosea's are quite slow growers... i may be wrong, but doubt there's anythint to worry about there.
                          i just keep mine on vermiculite. one seems to like it, the other i may change, as he/she (too young for me to tell) hides in her fake tree stump all the time...he/she just bricked his/herself in!
                          Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                          -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                          X