silly question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silly question.

Hi to all, question, whats the best way to pick the micro crickets up, without squashing them, and having them escape and go bouncing round the room.
    Wife getting worried we have fleas, lol.

I use forceps and dont care if I squish em or not lol. Failing that, I get my 15yr old daughter to get the little sods. Horrible litle things that they are (shudder).
    You can borrow my daughter if you want

Elaine

Give me all your Avics !!!!!

Comment

i've often wondered how it's done...they're so fast and tiny!!! horrid indeed.
      Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
      -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Crack the corner of the cricket tub open, tip it up on that corner and tap the box to make one drop in.
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks guys and Elaine thanks for the offer, Will try that tipping them out Colin but i then spend the next 30mins chasing the little buggers round my desk. And by the time ive caught them, there little more than dirty marks across my paperwork. lol
          Anyway good to be back.

Comment

you can make a simple pooter, which is usually use for insect collection.

i have one that i use for my collecting ants for my antfarms.

you can make one using 2 bendy straws and a panda pop bottle.

1) first drill 2 holes in the lid of the bottle (to put the straws through)
            2) push the long end of one of the bendy straws though one of the holes and the short end of the other straw through the other hole.

you use the longer straw to suck through and aim the smaller end of the other straw at the crickets.

i hope this helps

lee smith
            Last edited by lee smith; 22-06-07, 03:28 PM.
            Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
            Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
            P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

Lee too clever mate, too clever.

Comment

thanks dude,

i find its the most important piece of equipment i own. i been using mine for years to collect various insects for study.
                Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
                Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
                P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

I use a pooter too

I use it to get on the intinet

Sorry Lee couldn't resist that !!..................i'll get my coat :

Comment

n00bz!

that sounds like a good tool...will have to try that!!!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Joking aside i found a way to improve the one i bought from an entomological show in the late 80's by connecting the "sucking end" to an air bed inflator (argos.... £5.00) they normally have the ability to inflate and deflate.

at first you have to get used to the slight lack of control you have usually when sucking but i find it better as you can combine the screw off lid with the pump into one unit, therefor making it easier to handle in the field.

Comment

Or instead of mucking about will micro crix you could use pinky maggots. Im yet to find a spiderling that will not take these or a adult cricket leg.
                        Just a thought.
                        Cheers
                        Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X