Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Theraphosid identification

Hello all,
    I work for a museum in Exeter and I have found an African Baboon Spider, collected from the West Coast of Africa pre-1877 by Bradley Gregory, a ship's surgeon with the Royal Navy. The only identification with it is Mygale sp., which is now out if use, I believe. I am doing a bit of research on it, and am trying to identify it further. Does anyone know any identification guides for African Theraphosidae they can recommend? I am experienced with using keys and identifying British spiders, so an academic/scientific key will be fine. The specimen was preserved in fluid (probably alcohol, but could be Formalin), it is now dehydrated, but apart from that is complete.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jess

Hi Jess,

I have sent you a PM.

Ray G

Comment

DIPPENAAR-SCHOEMAN, A. S. (2002): Baboon and Trapdoor Spiders of Southern Africa: An Identification Manual. Agricultural Research Council, Pretoria, South Africa.

Smith, Andrew M. (1990): Baboon Spiders: Tarantulas of Africa and the Middle East. Published by Fitzgerald. ISBN: 09510939-7-5

Also check out:
      www.baboonspiders.de
      KJ Vezino
      Certified Arachnoholic
      My T Gallery
      Quest for Knowledge: All the T info links you need!
      "Have You Hugged Your Spiders Today?"

KJ’s Collection

Comment

Hi Jess,
        As you probably know I'm doing a taxonomic revision of the African theraphosids, so at some point I'll be interested in seeing that one

You're welcome to e-mail me a photograph so I could narrow down your search criteria if you like.

The problem is that the Eumenophorinae subfamily (which it is highly likely to be from if it's a large brown job) is in a poor taxonomic state; even the genus keys don't work for this subfamily - yet

All the best,
        Richard

Comment

Ha, sounds like the Aphonopelma issue of North America.
          By the way, anyone know where a copy of any of Smith's books can be obtained?
          Only hobbyists can eliminate the demand for wild caught animals.

Comment

Cheers all for your help !

Il email you a pic. when I have one Richard. I mentioned to Ray that I will send you both the info I have on other Theraphosidae specimens in the museums in Exeter and Bristol, once the research is complete...hopefully something interesting will turn up!!

Cheers,
            Jess

Comment

I can see some possible new articles on the horizon

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
              X