Worries about Male B.Smithi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worries about Male B.Smithi

I recently posted concerns over my CB'04 smithi having holed up for 7 weeks and not moulting, which then resolved itself with a much larger spider appearing.

However, the T emerged with very obvious tibial spurs and bulbs on his pedipalps and all seemed OK.

However, for the last month, he now seems in a state of great agitation, continously walking around the glass of the tank (night and day), doesn't even flinch when you take the lid off, never mind run for cover, sits on his water bowl a lot and has kicked a bald patch off his abdomen INTO the water bowl and just generally seems to be in a state of distress, compared to the last 12 months of relative inactivity?

Not being an experienced keeper (this is my first), I feel that keeping him in these circumstances is now becoming cruel and I am not sure how to best resolve this?

Any advice welcome.

This is part and parcel of the maturing process Neil, in the wild once the T reaches marurity they're up and off in search of a partner.

The restless pacing you describe is the spider acting naturally in search of a mate.

The best thing you can do now is to find a suitable partner (try advertising here or on the BTS Bulletin) for him to continue the blood line as it were!

Keep an eye out to see if the spider has constructed a sperm web, then he's really ready to go and don't be surprised to hear some drumming sometime soon too!

Oh yeah, your smithi prob doesn't have much longer than a year to go before he will pass away, once again part and parcel of the life-cycle of a male tarantula.

Sorry if this post seems a little strange but the medication I'm on at the moment makes my head a little weezy...
    All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

If thats the case Im looking for a Male for my Female B. smithi. I would trade one of mine for him??

Comment

Apparently, whilst I was away last week, he had formed a web on the floor of his hideout, which he got underneath for a few hours and then discarded in the corner of the tank (I threw it out when I got back).

It is since then that he has been on the rampage as it were!

Comment

Yep, thats a sperm web. If your interested in a trade or 50/50 let me know?

Comment

Sorted, lets make the magic happen guys!
            All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Put them together. The world is a better place with more Brachys in it!
              sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Mike, I could be up for swapping him for a female Smithi?

Only problem is I think we are the thick end of 110 miles apart and I don't really want to post him?

I have been given a local contact by a colleague who may be able to help, but I will come back to you shortly - cheers for now.

Comment

Well Neil the only female smithi I have is the one I want to breed But If you decide you'd sell or trade or 50/50 I could arrange to meet up halfway.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

romance is in the air!!!
                    Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                    -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                    X