Successful blondi moult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful blondi moult

I came down yesterday morning to find the blondi had completely webbed up the entrances to his burrow. I had a quick peek yesterday, late afternoon, to discover that he was possibly moulting, but I had very limited space to check.

This morning, still completely webbed in, I could see what looked like the new spider with his old suit nearby. So I am therefore assuming all went well but I wont know for sure until he ventures out. The signs look good though.
    B. boehmei - T. blondi - G. rosea x 5 -
    C. cyaneopubescens - N. chromatus -
    L. parahybana - H. maculata x 2 - G. aureostriata
    P. irminia - P. murinus

Congrats Helen, T. blondi molts can be a time of stress for the owner (and T of course) due to mortality rate. So its good to hear yours was successful. Im still waiting fomr ine to venture out but he (yes Im 70% its a He) is looking good.

MIke

Comment

Congrats Helen,

My friends T Apophysis just came throught a succesful moult, although he was concerened afterwards as the T seemed to take a long time to get back on it's feet as it were!
      All those legs and not a pair of shoes in sight... Nice tarsus tho...

Comment

Great news Helen,
        I know how stressful it can be waiting for a moult, my Heteroscodra is about to do so and I'm looking in its container every morning to make sure its ok. Get yourself a large glass of wine and have a rest.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm more chuffed for my daughter as I bought it for her as an early birthday present. I can definately see new legs. Will he kick his old skin out of his burrow or will I have to remove it myself?

On another note, my daughters Greenbottle blue has completely webbed up her entrance and there's been little activity in there for a few days now. Does this indicate an impending moult or is she just being secretive?

(I dont know the sex of these Ts, but I dont like calling them 'its' lol)
          P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

With regard to kicking the old skin out, it depends on the spider. My Poecilotheria always do but my B. auratum, which has just moulted, likes to go walkies and leave the exoskeleton in there. My Haplopelmas tend to destroy theirs and the bottom of their burrows and my B. baumgarteni tries to keep hers as a trophy! Last time I waited a week after moult and still ended up in a tug-of-war with her. If you buy a pair of those forceps (they look like 6 inch eyebrow tweezers) you can get the exoskeleton out without risk, but leave it a day or two so as not to stress your tarantula.

Comment

Thanks Nicola, I was going to leave it a few days anyway. I shall see what happens then and make a decision. I could always chicken out and make my daughter do it as it is hers lol.
              P. irminia - P. murinus

Comment

Thats what my mother used to say about the ironing!

Comment

Originally posted by Helen Roberts View Post

(I dont know the sex of these Ts, but I dont like calling them 'its' lol)
                  Helen, mine are all female until proven different..!

Congrats on the moult - always nice to read about a big one moulting successfully.

Comment

Working...
                  X