Coir blocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coir blocks

Does anyone know where i could buy Coir blocks ?

I know i can get them from the spider shop online but was wondering whether they can be bought from anywhere in town !

Ive never tried them but im thinking of putting my adult female blondi on it , as it is what she is used to .

Thanks

Also , because essentially it is actually a compost , does it have any smell at all ? , and will mites be a problem also ?

Comment

I tend to get mine from evilbay purely for the difference in postage costs.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Ashby View Post
        Also , because essentially it is actually a compost , does it have any smell at all ? , and will mites be a problem also ?

If its proper coir blocks then it should be totally sterile. As for smell I've never noticed any, however I would imagine if you allowed it to remap damp for too long and had some leftovers in there you could endup with a mould issue.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Thanks Rich !

I did spot that on ebay , i was wondering tho if it was available to pick up in a local shop etc , ive tried several garden centres but they dont stock it !

Comment

I get compacted blocks from B&Q, 4 for £2.69. I believe you can get it from Wilkinsons shops even cheaper but I don't know of any around here.
            Visit our work in progress website here:
            http://www.tarantulabay.co.uk/
            http://tarantulabay.freephpbbforum.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Goram View Post
              I get compacted blocks from B&Q, 4 for £2.69. I believe you can get it from Wilkinsons shops even cheaper but I don't know of any around here.
              Richard , what name does it go by in B&Q because i rang them and they didnt know what i was talking about !

Comment

to reduce the risks of moul and mites, put a load of woodlice in the enclosure as well. they will help to keep it clean in there.
                Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
                Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
                P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Ashby View Post
                  Richard , what name does it go by in B&Q because i rang them and they didnt know what i was talking about !
                  I can't remember the exact name, I think it's just B&Q own brand compacted compost blocks or something. I get them from the big B&Q on the Norwich ring road next to McDonalds. They're in the far right isle as you go in where all the other bags of compost/soil and stuff is, although last time I went to get some they were sold out.
                  Visit our work in progress website here:
                  http://www.tarantulabay.co.uk/
                  http://tarantulabay.freephpbbforum.co.uk/

Comment

Wilkinsons where doing it for 30p a block, I recently went in and bought 12 bocks for £4. Even before the sale it was only 69p a block.

Comment

B&Q compressed peat free / coir based multipurpose compost is what it says on the label, four individually wrapped blocks in a clear plastic bag..

The only problem i've had with it is a furious growth of bright yellow "mushrooms" if it's kept too damp - simply solved though, i microwave each batch as i rehydrate it
                      Dave

Comment

I went in Wilkinsons in Kings Lynn and they said that they dont sell it !!

....... or have ever sold it !!

Tried every garden centre , Homebase , B&Q , Focus , Wickes ..... and they all thought i was mad !! lol thick idiots

Comment

I can check my local store again Neil, then if needs be send some on to you. I certainly wouldnt want to go back to paying £3 from the petshops!!!!

Comment

If its any help the Wilkinson blocks are labelled as Coco Blocks.

Comment

No dont worry bout sending me some mate , tho its a kind offer !

I think its just that the wilkinsons in Kings Lynn is a small crappy store !

Comment

Working...
                              X